LML Or MAB: Y&R

• Members

So, did MAB or LML have a better vision for Y&R? Personally, I say Latham and was never one of the hatersl; however, I realize a lot of you disliked her version of Y&R. MAB has made the show 'hipper' in terms of Billy/Cloe speak but, in general, the show is a mess. Latham was far from perfect but it seemed like she had some sort of grip when it came to character driven story as opposed to the current regime.

As an aside, Latham would have been great for a multi-generational show like ATWT. She made Knots Landing and GC feel like communities and that is exactly what Oakdale needed. I don't think she is a bad soap writer but Y&R probably was not the right place for her. Granted, she did keep the ratings stable.

I'm just curious what you all think.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LML.

I hate her for rewriting history, and making Katherine suddenly remember she switched Philip with Cane at birth, but MAB has done far more damage to this show then LML could have dreamed of doing. All of MAB's little rewrites trying to "correct" history have backfired. Her pairings suck, her storylines are redundant, and she has killed off/ruined legacy characters (Brad, Colleen, Adam, etc.) MAB sucks ass, and it sucks she will most likely be here until the end because she's a Bell. :rolleyes:

• Members

No need to debate who is worse, both of them have damaged this show in innumerable and irrevocable ways.

But I must say, Latham's show did have some heart, as scary as that sounds. Also, many of the worse qualities of the Latham regime have been magnified and have been worse under Maria Arean Bell. Remember when Maria smugly went around talking sh!t about Latham's era? And then she goes around and overdoses on doppelgangers, horribly plotted mysteries, and trashy one-note characterizations?

As it stands right now, the show is much worse off creatively than it was at the end of Latham's run.

At least Latham admitted that she wanted to change the show and never hid behind Bill Bell's legacy. Maria Arena Bell and her horrendous writing and producing teams go out of their way in ever damn interview to talk about how their show is close to Bill Bell's vision, when they know it's not. I'd rather be fed honesty than any outright lie. Lies, lies, and more lies have come to signify Maria Arena Bell and her regime.

• Members

Both are equally bad. Not so long ago, I would have said that LML would have edged it. Not now.

LML was great when she had Jack Smith, Kay Alden and William J. Bell's long-standing production team to support her and fill in the missing blanks. LML's decision to get rid of nearly all this talent (what an amzing resource they must have been, tragically wasted forever) in favor of personal friends and family ruined Y&R forever. MAB's failure to reinstate most of them has helped to carry on the ruin that Lynn Marie Troll started.

Both have egos that FAR outweigh their actual talent. LML thought she could be the Sole HW and EP on a show she barely knew, understood even less and actively disdained. That is the height of egotism. Similarly, MAB thinks that the mere fact of marrying into the Bell family is enough to transmit William J. Bell's talent from the grave to her pen. MAB is so willfully clueless. She thinks she farts rainbows and great SL ideas. LML was selfish and authoritarian but at least she knew. The moment Out of our Asses bombed and she went on strike with her writing team, she knew she wouldn't be coming back.

• Members

It's an interesting question because both are atrocious in different ways.

That hack bitch from the depths of hell LML took a surgical swipe against the history of Y&R and the tone of the show. MAB has repeated every bad cliche a couple of times and that has resulted in absolutely sh*tty storytelling. What I'll give LML is that she actually wrote *something*. It wasn't good, it wasn't Y&R, but it was *something*. MAB can't even do that.

What the two have in common is that they've attempted to change the direction of the show for the future and that will always fail.

Y&R is not going to last for another 5-10 years, everyone knows that. The notion of reinventing the show is stupid. Just write a nice show that isn't unlike how it used to be. It isn't that hard.

• Members

When you compare LML and MAB they both have taken a great show and brought it down. The biggest problem is letting them both be executive producers and head writer. Only a few could ever pull off that postion and neither one of these ladies seem to be able to deal with the producing and writing a show 365 days a year (give or take a few days). I agree with pervious posting that LML did not hide behind the Bill Bell legacy like MAB is currently doing. If CBS and Sony does not step in soon Y&R will go the route of all soaps before it. The soap grave yard.

• Members

Latham and MAB are both terrible, but I think MAB is Y&R's version of Pratt

We'll have to disagree, cause she did damage, but what Pratt did was far worse. He made practically every character on the canvas unlikeable. I'll never forget him telling the actors to forget what they know about their characters(basically he was going to make them what HE wanted them to be)

McT was more good than bad, Pratt mostly was overall just bad.

Archived