LML Or MAB: Y&R

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's on DAYS. Thanks. Now I can watch it again. On purpose. She is my all-time Worst Actor in the World, the one who plays Theresita. Or else she's sublime. I can't decide.

But I'm not watching Y&R anymore.

• Members

Yep. Y&R was a turgid cesspool of sociopaths, narcissists, psychopaths, and borderline personalities. Everyone on the show was just like Gloria would be years later, only they wrapped themselves so tightly in their veneer of money, feeding an overactive cultural denial system. The worst people in the world, the denizens of Genoa City.

I was finally able to watch for more than a week at a time in 2005 or so, when Kevin was in jail. Him I liked. I hadn't watched a soap opera in five years at that point, which meant I'd never seen anything he did to Colleen, and thus had no obligation to hate him. I felt sorry for him, getting his ass kicked in jail. And he turned out to be Michael's brother. And they turned out to have this mother, who would eventually be played by the delightful Judith Chapman. And they seemed to want to make them the Number One Family of GC. Only then was I able to watch The Young and the Restless.

But back to the Grugeon thing. It was so refreshing to have Brad the Serial Marrier have an actual backstory. He's Jewish. Who knew? So it involved a Reliquary. It made for a better story than Brad had ever been in. Who gave a [!@#$%^&*] about his marriage to Tracey? His marriage to Cassandra? His marriage to Assley? His marriage to Victoria? And any or all of his other marriages I may be overlooking? God, if any character needed a backstory, it was Brad the Beautiful Bore.

And I could go on.

• Members

I mean every word of it. I watched it for the first time in 1989 or so, and I had a group of friends IRL who also watched the soaps. GL was our mutual favorite, and we all had different second soaps, and we would check out different shows all the time to fit in the second hour of the tape. We tried Y&R, but we just hated it, two of us in particular. We called them all Palace Poodles, esp. the Abbott children, who still lived at home past age 30--hahahaha--that was the best. We just cackled.

But ultimately, none of us could stick with it. Nobody was nice. All villains, or at least borderline personalities on parade.

• Members

Yes, it does. Sadly. :) I think this kind of attitude is what's hurting it, people thinking that, hey, tomorrow will be a brighter day, that all of a sudden it will just be reborn and people will come back to what they once used to watch. Not going to happen.

This sort of cosiness, comfort, laissez-faire, we're not going to do anything about it, it will fix itself is just prolonging the agony.

This genre needs to be purged thoroughly of all these "writers" and "producers" and their network bosses and bring someone with new ideas. That will, of course, never happen so I kind of have my doubts about daytime soaps ever coming back after they're dead.

The fleet of ships carrying buckets of money to all those who worked on them has been destroyed. No more lovely, beautiful, sunny days where you could sping cr*p, put out unbelievable amounts of sh!tty ("But it's signature Bell!!!!!") dialogue.

People who worked for soaps were their own doom ultimately. Them, their attitudes and all.

Jay, do I know you? :lol:

Because I know at least... 7 people who think so too!!! :lol:

• Members

I've read this thread with interest, and I do see DeeeDee's point.

But, for me, MAB and her team of co-HW are much, much, much, much, much worse. Unspeakably worse. I think both LML and MAB had promising starts, but then they both flamed out. When LML flamed out, she gave us character-destroying nonsense (senate race, Out of the Asses)...but I at least found those somewhat entertaining and grounded on earth. MAB is giving us a vortex-rift from which spring boundless psychos, doubles, recasts that make no sense, and worst of all...plots that lose their entertainment value for pure preposterousness.

I may be over-reacting because we're in the thicket of MAB's darkest, worst days. But I'm at a point where I'm skipping days and fast forwarding...something I haven't done since Brittany Hodges.

Archived