LML Or MAB: Y&R

• Members

MAB gets most of the attention, or scorn, rightfully so, but I still think it's Hogan and what I see as his hatred for women, and for the soap genre, that is behind this. His soaps all become cold, unpleasant, no family, friendships, or respect for history to be found. The woman hating is so pervasive in every part of his soaps.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My two cents, I believe a lot of this falls on Hogan Sheffer. I don't know, after ATWT he seemed to lose any ability to tell a decent story. Even some of his ATWT stuff was like ??? sometimes, his DAYS stint was like watching a slow-moving train crash into the river, and now we've got not one but two body doubles running around on Y&R. :blink: And hey I like camp actually, but...I prefer it on shows that have established themselves as campy. I don't remember Y&R ever being a campy show, so now it just comes off as desperate and bizarre. It's sad really, because my mother stopped watching for the first time in 35 years last week because its "just so hard to follow."

• Members

Yep. We maybe blaming MAB here, but Hogan is the elephant in the room, both literally and figuratively speaking. A lot of Sheffer's dark tortured woman tales from ATWT and Days are now being retold on Y&R. It's pretty clear he must have a lot of clout. I see it as Sheffer, Hamner, and Rauch doing all the work, and MAB simply signing off it.

1. Thanks for the good laugh, I needed it today

2. What color is the sky in your world? ^_^

• Members

Hi, Mark. How are you? It's nice to see you, too.

Now we can agree on the fact that Y&R is not worth watching. I haven't seen it since March, I think. I've substituted ATWT on the days when Luke is on, particularly when he and Reid are on together. Today was excellent. Reid planted a great big wet one on Luke's lips. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, and no one had to mail anything to TelVest or whatever it's called.

• Members

If Y&R really lost a half-million viewers last week (and I realize this isn't a static thing), that should be a clue. If the numbers stay low for the next few weeks...then we'll start to see some panic as they realize these insane plots are p!ssing off EVERYONE.

• Members

At first, I just stopped watching because it annoyed me so much. When I realized how little I missed it (kind of like Shirl a year ago), I decided it's a matter of principle as well. I'm just not going to watch such insulting hogwash (what is hogwash?). If they want me back, they have to fire Bell, Sheffer, and Rauch at the very least. I'm sure Janice Ferri could headwrite it beautifully.

• Members

Sadly, I agree. Things have been bad enough long enough it is clear SOMETHING MUST CHANGE.

I still like performances and episodes (sometimes). But whoever is spinning these long-term plots is just sick, twisted, and has no sense of what viewers want. The train has LITERALLY gone off the rails with some of this stuff.

• Members

It's an interesting timespan, because, while some of us have been moaning and groaning about the show for ages, a lot of people were still enjoying the show. I think that there were still those who still enjoying and just didn't want to say anything or who aren't represented at some boards. It's when those viewers also start to have enough that the ratings seem to be cratering.

I will be annoyed if someone at Y&R thinks, "Hey, this is because of dopplegangers, we'll stop that, then things will get better." The show has many, many problems in many, many areas, from casting, to characterization, to pacing, to hostility towards women and minorities, to an inability to write interesting male characters, to poor attempts at romance. On and on.

Archived