Angelina / Maleficent

Sylph

• Members

The other thing about Snow White is that the Evil Queen is just that -- cardboard cut-out evil (although she was awesome). In Sleeping Beauty, Maleficent was overlooked and not invited to the christening. SB's parents fucked up. So she threw some retribution their way. Harsh, perhaps, but that's the way it rolls in fairy tales. In a way, Maleficent was scarier because the whole root of her "evilness" wasn't completely black and white.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, she was a tough one to figure out in terms of the method to the madness.... quite complex. But, the Queen in Snow White was just down right evil and so scary... like I just rewatched some snow white clips on you tube and I had forgot how sinister she was. Cut her heart out and bring it back in a box? Taunting the skeleton with water.... like she was S-C-A-R-Y!

• Members

LOL I have been watching clips on you tube on and off the last week... I am this close to running down to my basement and digging out some of my disney VHS tapes... I think I have almost every film up to Pocahontas.

• Members

You want to know something even worse. I haven't seen Snow White either, not the real one anyway. My parents bought this shitty knock off where all the Dwarfs were IDENTICAL! It was HELL. Horrible. I have never forgiven them. :lol:

As for my own personal favourite .. when the dog dies, I DIE!

• Members

Just rewatched THE SWORD IN THE STONE after so many years.... still a very charming film. It has some striking similarities to THE SLEEPING BEAUTY. It's depiction of England is very similar to what they did for SB... at some point (I can't remember right now, I think it was when Madam Mim turns into a dragon) it's like they almost completely copied the SB scene, with the same music as well! And, at the end, the throne area from afar is the same as the throne area of SB's parents. Interesting.

I judge thee. Get it and watch it IMMEDIATELY!!!! laugh.gif

I have been thinking about watching this for days.... Such a great movie but so sad. lol

• 3 years later...
  • Members

The trailer has arrived! The SFX already look questionable but still very exciting. It's going to be hard to hear Maleficent sound different but I'm hoping for a solid movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioEA5fWjvOE

Now, Movie Gods, please do me this one favor: Please use 'Puss in Boots' at some point in the trailer. That track is so intricately woven with any memories of Maleficent, I can't handle it if it's not there!

I'm so glad someone else shares my feelings for this!

• Members

I have to add, however, that I don't understand why the horns look like some kind of hat. So much darker if that's how she was, but I guess that would not be "kid friendly."

And PLEASE, have her say "And all the powers of HELL!" before she turns into a dragon. I still don't know how that made it into the original movie but I loved it.

• 2 months later...

Archived