Angelina / Maleficent

Sylph

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

HA! They're doing SLEEPING BEAUTY?

And Jolie as Malificent? Not entirely convinced but, damn, I can see it working! lol I love Malificent!:wub: "Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadle? "

But Malificent was no fairy godmother, idiots.

And No Tim Burton, thank you.

Perhaps Del Toro could capture the evilness?

• Members

Live action Sleeping Beauty?

With possibly Tim Burton directing and Angelina Jolie as Maleficent?

Wow, so much DNW I don't even know where to begin.rolleyes.gifdry.gif

ETA: I bought the animated Disney version on Blu-Ray a couple of months ago and nothing will ever be able to top it IMO. The music, the drawing, the voice acting. Everything was perfect.

• Members

I've just thought about that. The music in the animated film was an adaptation of Tchaikovsky's ballet of the same name and performed by Berlin Symphony Orchestra.

Although it would be interesting to see Elfman (because you know Burton will pick him), that score and the adaptation are classics.

It also had an icy, aristocratic, sophisticated coldness about it, it was incredible. Unique.

• Members

Oh Maleficent was my favourite disney villain too.... Sleeping Beauty was such an awesome film, as others have said, it will be impossible to top IMO.

The closest Disney has come to matching Maleficent was Ursala, the Sea Witch. The Sea Witch was definitely the best villain of the modern Disney era.

• Members

There are no words for me to describe the awesomeness of that voice--equally scary and fascinating. And so clear. Lady Tremaine is the one from CINDERELLA, correct. I like how she changed her voice but retained some key elements for that role.

And SLEEPING BEAUTY is indeed a masterpiece. Just take a screenshot or freeze the DVD and examine the forest, for example... all the unimaginable, ridiculous details, the intricacy of it all, the colors, everything. They really went all the way. The voices, the music, the script...

• Members

The voice work is ideal, but please let's not leave out the animator who created Maleficent, the magnificent Disney animator (and later theme park imagineer) Marc Davis, who also did Cruella DeVille two years later!

It's funny how so many critics hated SB at the time--even Walt Disney was disappointed--by his own admission he said he was too busy with his tv show and especially Disneyland for the film, which is why it took soooo many years to get finished, etc, etc. I know many find it emotionally cold (partly due to it being the first animated 70mm film) but I love it, down to Ralph Burns' adaptation of Tchaikovsky's ballet (even if it is odd to hear the Puss n Boots divertissement music used for Maleficent's theme LOL

Of course it was endlessly compared to Snow White (and that was Disney's own fault--they advertised it as being even better) and it DOES lack some of Snow White's warmth. The best part of SB I think is for the first time Disney hired an outside artist to do the designs--the stunning vertical backgrounds of Eyvind Earle and his character work. http://voyagesextraordinaires.blogspot.com/2008/12/eyvind-earles-sleeping-beauty.html

I do think this new project sounds doomed to dissapoint me if Linda Woolverton really is doing the script. :(

(My first example of geekiness was as a preteen obsessed with every detail of the old Disney films--Sleeping Beauty was my fave--at least outside the "Great Five" Walt paid all his attention to before the war, and to which Sleeping Beauty was meant to return in form--Snow White, Pinocchio, fantasia, Bambi and Dumbo--of course even there only Dumbo and Snow White turned profits before their reissues).

• Members

the reason i LOVE sleeping beauty is because its darker. as a kid it was on the scary side. it wasnt all happy and rainbows and butterflies with an issue thats resolved in a few scenes. for a good part of the film it seems as if Maleficent had won actually, something that wouldnt be done (as far i seen/remember/cared about) until The Lion King.

Archived