OLTL: Video interview with Ron Carlivati

• Administrator

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So Langston screwing Ford is all about Langston thinking that she and Markko aren't as great as Starr and Cole.

smh.

And Fairman just has his lips puckered and ready all throughout. Tsk tsk tsk. I wish I could run an interview like this and really get some answers. Nonsense. It's all fanwanking nonsense.

Interesting, he basically echoes Fath's spiel about not being able to do anything right for some people. I love how these people are selective about the criticism they can take -- only the "well thought-out" criticisms are acceptable, all others are "angry" and "hateful" -- but they happily accept all the praise they can get, no matter how well thought-out or absolutely blind it is. I don't get the "it's easy to [criticize the show] anonymously" thing either. Is this to say that a critical viewer would be too intimidated or overwhelmed to air their frustrations in a more personal way? Because this one isn't.

• Members

Far be it from me to be a beer guzzling, "str8" acting type, but there is so much lisping in this interview that it's completely grating my ears.

Michael Fairman is so roided and wannabe West Hollywood and Carlivati is(as Faulkner stated in '08) spilling lavender purses from his mouth.

I need to pay attention to this interview when I have a clear head.

• Members

I loved to hate Stacy in the beginning, but she lost me with stealing the stem cells. I liked the interview, I always find it interesting to find out what the writers think of the storylines they wrote.

LOL he so is.

• Members

Does ANYONE give a damn about Stacy's baby other than maybe Fish fans? The kid is useless, the people fighting for her are useless, other than not wanting a child to be raised by any of these losers I simply don't give a damn.

• Members

I think some fans were looking forward to a custody battle over the baby, as custody battles are big drama. I wasn't looking forward to one, mostly because I don't like them and because I don't want to see any more of JPL or Fath attempting drama, but I can see where a fight between the two of them, Kim (if Amanda had stayed on), Sky, and Gigi and Rex might have had some good moments.

I can't blame ABC for deciding this wasn't worth the time but I do blame them for dumping most of the people in the story who actually made it tolerable.

• Members

I think these past few weeks show that all of that was merely potential. The stuff that's aired looks like it was written before the massive re-write and almost all of it was awful. Especially Rex and Gigi, the supposed heroes of this tale.

And looking at the interview he sounds downright delusional about Stacy. She was one of the worst written characters I've ever seen. And to compare her to Gabrielle or Tina is laughable, this was NOT a bad girl, this was a black hole of ridiculousness. She walked around town with stem cells in her pocket for god's sake. She was willing to let a little boy DIE to keep a man.

• Members

I agree about the story probably not amounting to much, but it seems like ever since the strike a lot of stories that haven't gone well are more likely to be seen as well, if this or that had been allowed to happen, then it would have worked. I think that's sort of a way to be able to keep watching the show, as it's not fun to say, "Well these stories were always going to suck," even though with a few exceptions that probably were OK before being meddled with, a lot of the stories probably weren't going to work no matter what.

A lot of the time that Gabrielle and Tina are mentioned people just remember them for camp. The thing with Tina and Gabrielle is they were both very serious in what they did. Even if the scenes with Tina were funny, she wasn't intentionally funny. She also was not overly malicious, as Stacy was. Tina also had motivations, she grew up feeling like something was missing and then when she realized her true paternity she decided to get what was hers. Gabrielle was not really a comedic or campy or love to hate character -- she was often just plain nuts. But again, viewers often understood why, and we were shown that SHE thought she was doing the right thing for the people involved, whether she actually was or not. That's why she could try to suffocate her comatose husband, why she could steal a woman's baby and pass it off Michael Grande's, and viewers understood.

I know I sound very unfair here but I think that Ron and Gary Tomlin and others who have tried to duplicate this era really don't get why this worked. I think that confusing tone has been a problem with OLTL for ages and it's gotten really bad over the past year, as I, and judging by the ratings, presumably others, have had no idea why we are supposed to root for people like Todd, Rex, or Gigi. And Stacy, she was such a confusing, plot-driven mess, one minute she was serious the next she was bad camp. If we knew her backstory then we might have cared more but she had some of the dumbest and flimsiest back story possible.

Archived