GH: MICHAEL RECAST

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, but if they want to take the character in a new less psycho direction. They could have wanted a face change to go with the attitude change. So people didn't look at Michael and remember how awful he really is.

• Members

Yeah, I don't believe that DG's fugliness caused his ouster. Guza does what he wants. He turned ugly as dirt BA into a romantic leading man. I don't buy it for a second that he cared what OriginalMichael looked like. I am convinced that something happened behind the scenes.

• Members

Whenever I see this Michael all I see is the brat who almost beat up Robin and Liz and went on to murder Claudia. Even with all the weird attempts at a "sibling" bond with Kristina, I cringe any time he's around women.

I don't know if that will change with the recast but I can see where it may have factored into the decision, especially if someone at ABC is finally starting to question whether the show can continue to revolve around cold and unpleasant men who show women their love by abusing them or ignoring them.

I guess we'll see if the writing for Michael changes. I remember when Tyler Christopher left for his failed primetime career and they had Coltin Scott's Nik dancing around with a mop to show us that he was going to be a new type of Nikolas.

• Members

I buy the possibility of the report's validity, though I don't necessarily buy the report. What I mean is, yes, I can see an exec finding Duell to be more conventionally attractive to teen girls. I think Garrett's look has always been far more unique and real in the tradition of GH's best youth casting, whereas Chad Duell seems handsome but bland, cookie-cutter. He looks like a product of the Disney assembly line in most pictures and video, I think the one above is a fluke. I can definitely see ABC finding him more marketable.

As for Disney/ABC forcing hunks onto the shows, it has happened before. Linda Gottlieb eventually left OLTL over interference from above, specifically things like being forced to add hottie of the year Casper Van Dien as Ty Moody, and the Kevin recast merry-go-round, which ultimately led to hot model/non-actor Ken Kenitzer, who lasted about twenty seconds.

• Members

SID: Fired actor speaks out. DG said he went to work, did his scenes and had a meeting with JFP at the end of the day & he was informed "they were going in a different direction & that direction would not include myself"

"It didn't feel real." When he told people they thought he was joking. He's never been fired from a job before.

According to set insiders, MB was not happy. DG said "he assured me it was not about my talent, or my acting abilities & encouraged me to refocus and move on."

"I'm going to move on. I know I did the best I could. I have no regrets & no guilt" he says, adding that despite wild speculation about the "real" reason - conflict with directors - is not true.

"There was no conflict. I'm pleased with the experience. It's bittersweet. I would like to hope it's more sweet then bitter. I will miss playing Michael. Who wouldn't want to be Sonny's son?"

"I wish the next guy the best"

• Members

That totally came from above JFP and Guza's head. From the way he sounds in that interview, everyone was totally blindsighted.

I still believe Guza and JFP knew ahead of time and wanted to ease the transition, which is why they stuck Michael on the island.

I think they should have at least allowed Drew to finish his story and sent him off for a month before they brought him back.

I hope he gets his well deserved Emmy.

• Members

This "taking the character in a new direction" crap is such bs! How many times have they done that with the original actor? We are constantly questioning a character's actions and stating that there is no way that particular character would act that way or do something. Look at John Z, is he the same character he was when he first came on the show? He's hardly recognizable. And why wouldn't the son of a mobster act the way Drew was directed to act? That would only make sense. Someone who was raised the way Michael was certainly couldn't be "normal". :rolleyes:

I'm just not buying it. :mad:

Archived