DOOL renewed 2010-2011

• Members

EWAusielloFiles This Just In: NBC renews DAYS OF OUR LIVES through 2010-2011 season.

9 minutes ago via web

http://twitter.com/EWAusielloFiles

More...

NBC has picked up daytime drama “Days of our Lives” for its 45th season, keeping the long-running show on the network through the 2010-11 television season. Despite the cancellation of other soaps, especially on CBS, the network said Days has shown year-to-year increases in key female demographics. It first premiered as a half-hour drama in 1965 and expanded to an hour 10 years later. It's currently tied for #2 for the season among all daytime dramas in women 18-49 and women 18-34. Through 25 weeks of the 2009-10 season, Days is averaging 3.3 million viewers, its highest average at this point in the season in three years and a 10% increase over its audience of one year ago, according to Nielsen Media Research. Days of our Lives is produced by Corday Productions in association with Sony Pictures Television.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/03/nbc-renews-days-of-our-lives-thru-2011/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not shocked.

I know NBC is dumb as hell but no way they could justify letting it go given how well it did last year, especially not when the rest of the network is in the toilet. Plus, all they did was pick up the one year option that was put in the last deal. NBC may want to focus on primetime and worry about daytime later, especially with Days keeping it's budget in check and making a profit. I just worry now that NBC will want Days to do even more then it has and I'm not sure it can in the current ratings climate.

Also, I'm sad that it wasn't a multi-year renewal. I remember there was a SON tweet that alluded to a good chance at that.

• Members
I, for sure, thought SONY might push to have both of their soap properties on the same network. It would have been an interesting strategy, but DAYS would have suffered if it were moved out of it's comfortable noon slot.

Too bad they can't tape the show in HD. :(

• Members

Renewal, for lack of a better word, was a lock, IMO. DAYS is holding its own at a time when other soaps, especially the ABC ones, aren't. Although, from a creative standpoint, there's still a ton of room of improvement, it's nice to see this vote of confidence from the network. Keep it up, Gary Tomlin!

• Members

Oh, that could still happen (not saying I want it to happen but just for conversation's sake). It's only a one year option. If anything, it may be smarter to move Days to another network after this one year rather then having it fly over to CBS on the heels of ATWT's cancellation or after a possible OLTL one on ABC. If Days or any other soap ever changed networks, it would be best to wait a period of time if it would replacing another soap in their time slot.

Archived