Howard Stern rips into Gabourey Sidibe

Cheap21

• Members

What a F--KING ahole

Howard Stern blasted "Precious" star Gabourey Sidibe on his Monday radio show, viciously mocking her weight and doubting her abilities as an actress.

"There's the most enormous, fat black chick I've ever seen. She is enormous. Everyone's pretending she's a part of show business and she's never going to be in another movie," Stern ranted. "She should have gotten the Best Actress award because she's never going to have another shot. What movie is she gonna be in?"

And the fact that some of Hollywood's most powerful players (uh, like Oprah Winfrey and Tyler Perry) are among 26-year-old actress' biggest supporters, doesn't mean squat to Stern.

He knocked Winfrey, who praised Sidibe at the Academy Awards Sunday night and said she was sure Sidibe would have a long, fruitful career.

"Oprah's another liar, a filthy liar," added Stern. "She's telling an enormous woman the size of a planet that she's going to have a career."

Fortunately for Sidibe's fans, he's already been proven wrong.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/03/10/2010-03-10_howard_stern_slams_gabourey_sidibe_over_weight_says_her_career_is_over__but_shes.html#ixzz0hq6iusgK

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was just so nasty of him, and I hate how in comments sections across the intenet people are all jumping on the, "So mean, but he's totally telling the truth" bandwagon because his assholeishness isn't addressing the bigger problem which is that it's only true because Hollywood says so. And I could just mash Robin in the neck with a basketball for sitting there being his little amen corner. There are plenty of women who look like Gabby, there are plenty of parts she could play, but Hollywood is a shallow fantasyland that only wants to tell stories about thin pretty white people. Gabby is very charismatic and FUNNY in interviews, I would love to see her in a witty summer comedy, she could play any number of best friend roles after starring in Precious, she'd even do well in sitcoms (she'd be a great role model on a Nick/Disney Channel show), hell, I would love to see her in an angsty storyline on Degrassi. It's just bull that Precious has to be her one hit wonder, it does NOT have to be that way.

• Members

as a black woman, I found Robin's comments to be a disgrace. I guess anythign to collect that paycheck. She should have been appalled. He was just unnedcesarily cruel and downright nasty. You are right. I wish Hollywood would get over itself and stop holding onto this image of what is a star.

• Members

Wow...I can't even begin to say how sad that makes me feel. Gabs is a ray of sunshine in every interview she does, and she's a great example of believing in yourself. She doesn't need Howard Stern to tell her what color or size she is because she's neither blind nor stupid.

And she's already got stuff lined up, so he's already irrelevant.

• Members

I disagree... granted she was big in music and TV... but hasn't Stern ever seen Mama Cass for Pete's sake? Of course, Cass had a sense of humor, personality for days, and magnetic stage presence... but STILL. And you want another good example... Mabel King.

• Members

Ohhh, poor Mabel. What a sad end she had. :( Now, I DO want Gabby to be healthy and get to a safe weight, but I stand by what I said that Hollywood needs to open its mind to the concept of who should and shouldn't be starring in movies. I mean, if Heidi Montag or Kim Kardashian go on to have more fruitful film careers, there is something seriously fucked with that. I'm not so upset by the realities of Hollywood that Howard speaks to, it's his crass, downright nasty way of speaking about Gabby and the fact that he doesn't take Hollywood to task, he tears apart the innocent victim of the messed up Hollywood machine instead.

• Members

SFK, I guess movies are worse than music and TV... I mean, think of NELL CARTER. You can get a foot in the door, you just have to be REALLY good, and have soemone in your corner (Which Gabby does) Look as how Rotund, senior Citizen Della Reese got a gig on a prime time show and shot straight to the top of the ratings. (though I know Della was not like that when she became famous in the 50's)

• Members

Honestly, I thought her performance was very flat in that movie. Her success stems from her very distinct look and Monique rocking it so much. And she's at a very unhealthy weight. She looks ginormous. I don't think that's a positive image to send just like an anorexic person at the other end of the spectrum. I can see her maintaining a career, but in a year or two I want to see some pounds shed. She now has the money and the resources to make it happen.

I'm not saying everyone needs to be a size two, but in her case her weight is ridiculous.

• Members

Right, like I said, but let's face it, even if she was a size 8 she'd be too fat and black for too many people in LaLaWood. Poor Mabel King lost both her legs to diabetes, I don't want poor health to befall upon the girl, I just feel that there is room for folks who look more like her on the big screen.

I can see how people might think her acting was flat, but just seeing Gabby once in an interview, it's very apparent that that was all character, all acting, and I have known girls just like Precious... that crushed spirit and suppressed monotone.

Archived