AMC Erica's Woman of the Year speech

• Members

Erica was addicted to painkillers at the time!

Hal Corley's outline,Michelle Patrick's script.Lorraine Broderick,headwriter.

An excerpt:

it gives me great pleasure to stand before you tonight-and accept your flattery and your praise-knowing that every bit of it is completely false. The hypocrisy in this room could choke a snake. I'm very pleased to stand here in the spotlight-where I was born to be. it gives me great satisfaction to look down from this podium-on the teeming mediocrity below-knowing most of you prayed I'd trip on the way...

Whom shall I thank first?...

What's the matter,Brooke?Can't you take it?It hurts to be third rate,doesn't it?But aren't you accustomed to it by now?You're a weakling,which is why you can't keep a man.men don't like fragile women.They only think they do...

Saint Maria of Wildwind-tending to the sick in her push-up bra,ever poised to relieve the suffering of others-as long as the suffering isn't mine.

Then there's my so-called husband..."Hold my hand.I'll take care of you darling".These were his last words before he let me drop.Dimitri's not good at rescue work,but i tried to spare him any guilt...you can't turn to Dimitri for patience and understanding.Dimitri will put you on a pedestal,but it's your job not to fall off.if you can't avoid a spill,then please try not to get hurt.And if you can't manage that,and this is really important,never rely on medication,because Dimitri doesn't believe in pain relief.

Well,I am no longer his wife and no longer the star of "The Cutting Edge".Let's have a big hand for the brilliant Liza Colby.Well,now,Liza,where is your partner in back stabbing tonight?Surely you're not alone this evening.Ladies and gentlemen,i give you one half of the back stabbing team that conspired to bring my career down,that sharpened their knives on the host of "The Cutting Edge".Tad and Liza,always with your heads together,always conspiring the demise of my career and the resurrection of your affair.where's the little wifey?Dixie,Dixie...you fell down on the job.You were supposed to subdue the wayward Tad.Why would you let him sow wild oats with that witch?I am speaking.I will not sit down.I will never be silenced again.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn, I really wish this scene would show up on youtube. Its by far one of the greatest moments in Erica Kane's character history. Push up bra always cracks me up too, partly because its so true, especially Maria's 2nd go in Pine Valley.

• Members

This was on her Emmy reel that year right? She had that line about, "It's my night, and that's all there is to it, I just have to go out there and accept my award with my head held high..." (and the crowd went wild...)

• Members

Yep... I thought Lucci had it IN THE BAG that year. Evidently, the Emmy voters preferred otherwise. I still say Erica's Woman of the Year meltdown is far more nuanced and compelling than the work which ultimately won her the Emmy, her scenes in Bianca's Anorexia intervention. I honestly, when it comes to Erica, can't remember being more glued to my TV screen.

Ditto. I search for it every couple of months... and always end up disappointed! :lol:

• Members

Actually, I think I have that Emmy broadcast on tape, but not the episode with all the good stuff. I wish people were wise enough to see that when they hate on Lucci's acting for moments like these, they are totally missing the bigger picture of the Erica Kane character.

Archived