AMC: Monday 2.1.2010

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The dialogue was really annoying me in today's episode. Randi calling RyICKA "The power couple of the century", STHU, Randi..GMAB.ICK! Anything Jake had to say AFTER he left his house after having those sweet moments with Amanda irked me, to. It's like Jake, just sew your mouth shut!!

Erica (to Ryan): "Magical lights, Magical dinner, maybe it wasn't Emma or Opal at all. Maybe we just have a magical guardian angel who has a flare for..atmosphere" Seriously?

James Kahn's magical dialogue aside, I think AMC look's fantastic in HD! It's definitely improved, the mouse house camera style definitely wasn't evident in the Wildwind scenes today. I instantly thought of GH when I saw those scenes, and I liked it. Excited to see the whole show in HD. I'm sure it'll be magical.

• Members

I had almost forgotten about those AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL cameras. They were really bad for a bit--the film look didn't bother me too much, it just seemed pointless. (I thought it kinda worked when they used it on The City. Didn't Sunset Beach use it its first few months until it was retooled with the new intro, etc?)

HAHA to be fair AMC has always been one of the "brighter lit" soaps (I find, for some reason East Coast soaps have been anyway, except for when Goittlieb and then JFP worked at One Life). But even in the 70s soap books commented on how dark Y&R was lit, that was part of Bell's (and Conboy's?) concept to make it look more like a glamorous Hollywood shoot--along with hiring people more based on looks than ever before, etc.

Oh be nice, he has a cold. :lol: At least someone fixed that constant problem we used to have with him--remember when you could always hear a whistling sound from his breathing through his nose. Ick (actually i think he's been looking a bit better as of late though I admit I'm always a bit surprised again when I see an 80s or even 90s clip of him and how handsome he was).

It's been over a decade since I had any heterosexual sexual contact, but I don't remember that being a common straight sex move :unsure:-_-

• Members

UGH I always forget we even had a second Del.

I liked the IDEA of the house for all the misfit characters and there were actually a couple of kinda cute scenes with them just hanging out drinking or playing cards or whatever, but it was never really handled well (wasn't Julia even talking about opening a clinic at Wildwind or did I just imagine that?) It was, like a lot of AMC in the past decade, done half assed and then kinda forgotten--too bad because I do think having some of these wayward characters in a boarding house situation makes a lot of sense--of course back in the day too it was one way they got audiences to warm up to new characters faster--if they had lotsa scenes with Myrtle, etc.

• Members

The City was actually shot on film (at least for the first few years until it got too expensive). All My Children was trying to make videotape look like film by applying a filter in post production. It's easy to do, literally one button. And it costs $0 to do. But this makeshift film technique doesn't work well on a drama series, maybe if we were watching a highlight package on SportsCenter, yes, but not on a soap.

So I'm glad from here on out, it looks like we'll be watching untreated video, which is fine by me.

• Members

No. The City was definitely not shot on film. They wanted it to look like it was--I remember cuz Sunset Beach was around the same time and there were a few articles about the new process. You're right it was expensive in terms of how it was filmed though (and it only ran 18 months ;) )

One way you can tell is how some "lines" look kinda weird or pixilated or jagged when they're shot at angles--venetian blinds for example

Agreed with your last comment.

• Members

Wildwind has gone through more than one facelift. When it was first introduced, there was NO staircase by the front doors -- there were just hallways. I believe that the set was redone when Francesca James took over. When JHC took over, it was redone again -- the ugly green sofa was removed and the layout of the room changed a bit.

• Members

Funny I remember the staircase there quite well. Of ocurse we used to actually see other rooms--like the dining room, etc. But the basic fireplace set has been there since the start but with a sligthly different layout as you say (that fireplace has had more than a few burned and half burned wills, etc)

• Members

It did partly cuz it was set up for it (I am pretty much 100% it wasn't on film which even in the 90s would have been too expensive and time consuming). Of course the greatest irony was when GL took on the hand held camera model, over a decade later and it looked MUCH worse. :blink:

Just watched today;'s episode--ok Tad was looking really rough though in the WIldwind scenes you could see he was over his cold. I felt a bit bad for JL havign to kiss hm when helooked so ill though... I liked today's episode--funny that I don't care about Erica/Ryan yet I actually was pretty into the whole Greenlee suspense. I like the new Wildwind actually. Some of the dialogue was bad but I laughed at a few lines. That's it... :P

• Members

I feel the same way about not giving a crapola bite about RyICKA, but being into the Greenlee stuff. The scene I liked with her the most, was at Fusion when she was with David and she was rustling around to much and started having pains. I don't know why I liked that scene so much, but yeah LOL.

And I am glad I'm not the only one who noticed the bad dialogue LOL!!

Jonathan, I so hear you on this one! Especially about Y&R's! I don't watch the show, but sometimes if I'm home and can flip to it, I just find it to be so dark, seriously! AMC, to me, is reeealy bright and vibrant, the light is always shining on everyone. Especially at ConFusion and The Chandler Mansion, LOL. Wildwind--not so much, even when it was in Filmlook SD, whatever it was called, I always found it to be so dark for some reason.

• Members

Watching yesterday's show now...it looks like they might have very gently FilmLooked the new stuff so that it flows well with the old NY stuff. Hopefully by Wednesday, it's all gone completely.

But again, maybe I'm just "seeing" FilmLook in it because I was so used to seeing it after so long.

And good lord, Chrishell and Jamie are like twins.

Archived