AMC: HD/LA?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While the way the ABC soaps have their openings may save them money (same shots are used for promos, bumpers, opening, etc instead of shooting different footage for each thing) it completely diluted the identity of the shows. GH has completely lost its identity, could you even imagine the faces of the heart opening leading into a shoot out or explosion nearly every day? OLTL has had trouble establishing an identity under Frons' reign, the show is great but there is no real feeling to it. GH is hospital, AMC is family, OLTL is ______. AMC's opening fits with the show but being so visually similar to the other two just takes away from it. If AMC's opening was the only one on the network that looked this way I would have a totally different view.

• Members

I think the character names in all of the ABC daytime openings was Angela Shapiro's idea (?), but it worked best for AMC having the actors write out their own character signatures, just went perfectly with the scrapbook motif.

• Members

I used to have a huge thing for opening credits (was bowled over to find such a niche site like WoST), but not so much anymore. The thing is, the shows have introduced montages that are worse instead of better than their predecessors, they have become so lax with the updates, and frankly, they have SO many bigger fish that need frying instead of spending energy and money on splashy new credits. I too would be fine with a simple title card, and would be more impressed with/excited by new openings if I was really feeling that my show was on top.

• Members

Opening credits and theme songs when done right can add much to the success of a show. They set the theme and tone.

Soaps should take example from primetime and have openings that do not require constant updating. IMO opening credits should focus more on what the shows about rather than just the cast, which on soaps is large and has a high turnover.

Themes and credits that come to mind that added to a shows appeal and attracted viewers are ones like Cheers, CSI, The Golden Girls....etc.. Those themes/openings stick in the viewers mind and provide a comfy familiarity that keeps viewers coming back.

• Members

I think the opening sequence and theme is important to a soap. Openings and theme songs were staples of television shows until the 2000's when it went to title cards and generic music. Soaps are a classic medium and they should keep with tradition by having a traditional opening and theme. I know I know AMC started with a title card but historically openings and theme songs are memorable and iconic.

• Members

Welle except that's a primetime tradition, not daytime. As you kinda point out in the 60s most soap openings were basically 15 seconds long--whereas primetime ones were often 90 seconds.

It did. While it's a minor thing, I didn't get why some hated it so much. I know when I was a newbie to AMC around 1991, and had no internet to find out the history of the show, for AGES I wondered who some of the people in the opening were. (at that time--Ruth and Joe hadn't been on for at least several months when I started watching, and they were the closing picture frame so I always wondered if they were some characters who died, or what)

• Members

That's kinda funny how you thought Joe and Ruth were being "memorialized" in that first framed shot. :P Tad and Joey, then later just Joey, used to be in that picture standing behind them. I loved that opening, still do, and I always thought folks like Mona, Palmer, and Myrtle deserved frames too. :D

• Members

I think it was with Joey (who had already left the show it seems to me when I started watching) and not Tad when i started watching it--though Tad was off the show too (cuz I remember being confused about all the hype when he was coming back--the Ted thing).

But I loved that opening too, how it went so well with the music, and I admit as a kid I found it fun when I would see a character I had wondered about for a few months from the opening, for the first time--like when I finally saw Phoebe, LOL.

Jack as you know, all soaps DID use to have a basic opening like DAYS. It's just that pretty much all of the shows that did, except Days, changed theirs (I guess Y&R's opening was always a bit longer--as was of course B&Bs since that was already the 80s). It is interesting to me how older soap themes seemed to be more... hrmm slower, sometimes moody but often kinda "warm and family/homely" feeling IMHO--hard to describe but the old AMC (and OLTL and even original Loving) openings all fit that--as does the primetime theme for peyton Place. Then, it seems, Dallas came along and suddenly a lot of daytime soaps wanted to have themes similar to it that promised "excitement"--Santa Barbara's whole opening in fact seemed directly inspired by Dallas/Knots/Dynasty

Archived