HBO: Game of Thrones

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think that you would. I am surprised that you don't watch it. Like TWD, GOT is more about the human fragility and interactions than the fantasy aspect. I think TWD is the better show, but GOT has a stronger core of leading actors and has had some outstanding episodes. If you decide to watch, Juliajms is right that you should start from the first episode.

• Members

Really/ Maybe its the book fan part of me speaking but I've been reading articles that say the same thing to varying degrees and I admit I'm a bit doubtful. While I do believe Game of Thrones is a great show I'm not sure I'd classify it as one of the "greatest shows ever". I just think its a bit too gratuitous when it comes to the needless sex and violence. The casting is excellent and a lot of the dialogue is great but overall I just don't know if it will stand the test of the time....

The Red Wedding scene by itself though perhaps will rank up there as a moment in television history. That i can fully support.

• Members

Anti-climactic finale. There were a couple of moments that advanced the plot along but nothing worth ending a series on. The promo-ed Tywin/Joffrey scene was a fake out, the identity of the torturer was a big nothing, and Jaime's scene ended just as it began. The Bran scene was nice as finally someone met someone else, but other than that I got nothing. The very last scene was a big "so what?". Why do I care that freed slaves were now freed doubly. They were freed once already I didn't need to see them verify that for me. And then the whole Gendry plot thread was a detour into nothing. I imagine he will be rowing for quite a few episodes.

• Members

Watching Lord Frey and Joffery gloat was very annoying to me. It was sort of fun to watch Tywin reaffirm who the real boss is, but I with he would drop all pretense. Joff is so arrogant and dense he needs things spelled out for him. I don't even think he caught the implied threat behind Tywin sending him to bed with Nightshade. Cersei and Tyrion did though.

The first seen was a little bit of a heartbreaker for me. Sansa was warming up to Tyrion. I think she would have taken Maegerys advice, if not for the Red Wedding. The Sansa situation is the only thing that makes me regret Peter Dinklage's casting, since Tyrion is supposed to be in his early/mid 20's.

Was Dany in the last scene of season? I can't remember now. I guess that last scene was to show us that she can win the love of the masses. That she would be a better ruler then some of the other main contenders.

I think in some ways Gendry's scene was more about Davos than Gendry. Davos as a hero who wants to be loyal to Stannis, but not at any price.

• Members

Very weak episode both quality and plot wise....

So stupid of them having Jamie appear in Kings Landing before the "other" wedding....its little things like that which are destroy this show in terms of quality story telling. The last scene with Dany was utterly pointless.

In the books its alluded to but not confirmed that Theon's manhood was cut off....I guess the writers don't want that ambiguity to appear in their alternate reality/universe of Westeros. Still though they did a good job of showing Theon's complete mental breakdown into Reek. For that I give them major props. The scene with Asha and Balon Greyjoy (their father) was also made up and completely uncessary but what else is new?

• Members

Sorry if you've already discussed this, TPoS, but I've seen some Sansa fans say that the show gives her short strift compared to the books, and makes her seem too immature, only focuses on the men around her, etc. Do you think that's true?

• Members

ohmy.png

Sansa is one of the few characters whose personality has been allowed to change as her story unfolds. She started out as a silly, nasty girl but there was a scene late in season one where with just a look of her eyes you saw this girl was growing up fast. She is immature, not too immature. One of the strengths of the show is that not everyone is equally mature and strong, and Sansa's immaturity was important to her story. I am a Sansa fan and I don't think I would want her behaving like Arya, I have Arya for that. One of the greatest things about the show is even supporting characters are fleshed out and given attention, and Sansa the supporting character is on no less frequently than her starring siblings.

Edited by quartermainefan