• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sigh. So much stress. So much sadness.

I have to praise the incredible direction. They've just earned at least a nomination if not the Emmy. The incredible landscapes they featured, that inspired opening shot of equating the Dragonstone table to the hills and mountains beyond the wall, and of course the battle/effects. Top notch. Hard to believe it's TV.

I wasn't crazy about the Arya/Sansa stuff, although it's very soapy. The good thing about it is it's of course based on their characters and comes out of their year-long conflict as personalities, and also how they've grown. I guess I'm anxious for Littlefinger's manipulations to be revealed/end, but I fear this may become worse. I suppose the story's doing its job.

Tormund talking about Brienne, Jorah and Jon having their one-on-one, the zombie bear, the Hound and Thoros having their moment, all that stuff was great. And of course Dany riding in with her dragons and Viserion's heartbreaking death.

Dany crying over them made me cry but I think playing the attraction beat at that moment (Jon and Dany making goo goo eyes at each other) was the wrong time.  

Some twat from hell spoiled on Facebook days ago that one of the dragons turns into a wight (he caught that unfriend real fast) but it was still such a horrible , horrifying moment. The war just got worse. 

Edited by YRBB

• Members

I saw that Bethany Lenz is trying to get people to tweet in support of Alfie Allen getting an Emmy nomination.

Rachel Miner is still my favorite Michelle, but she's certainly gone way up in my estimation, and she has very very good taste. 

• Members

Watching all these characters come together, some of them with serious ties to each other, some never sharing scenes before, was wonderful. Pure soap opera. The Tyrion/Cersei scene was a standout, like something out of Season 2. It felt false that Cersei didn't kill Tyrion and agreed to send soldiers to fight the White Walkers, so I was hugely relieved (and cursed her out) when she told Jaime it was all a ploy. Jaime's "I don't believe you" and walking out on her was another highlight. 

Theon's scene with Jon and finally standing up for himself was hugely rewarding. To think this story has been going on since Season 2... I am glad they didn't give it up. I am glad he's going after Yara to save her. Great work by Allen. I guess being without genitals came in handy!

Another payoff: Sansa and Arya confronting Littlefinger and his execution. AG did marvelous work in those final moments too. That Ned Stark callback nearly brought me to tears.

The dragon tearing down the wall -- stunning. A great way to end the season. Kudos, again, for the SFX! 

• Members

IMO, Theon's scenes were a waste. The character is awful and should have been killed off already. I dont see why Euron wouhld even keep Yara alive. I think and hope he was just f--king with Theon, whom learns she is dead in the first episode of the next, only to get killed off. He and his story seem so insignificant to the bigger picture and with 6 episodes left, they shouldnt waste any time on it. I hate that they didnt wrap it up here

• Members

Whoa, we really couldn't see it more differently, since I love Theon and have enjoyed his long, complicated journey. I suppose whether his story should exist at all is another matter, but since they did it, I'm happy they didn't drop it without a satisfying resolution. That still hasn't happened, but it's clear they are committed to it in the future. After all he's been through, he needs this.

It's true, Yara being alive is a long shot (that guy even said so), although Euron could have kept her alive because he gets sadistic pleasure out of it and/or, in the show's words, for a "bit of rape".

At the very least, whatever they do with this story will provide some variety from constant war/white walkers storyline next season. I think that's still important. And I wouldn't be surprised, if he saves Yara, that he unites the Ironborn under him and they join the fight too, only on the other side. So his story would merge with the main climax anyway.

As for the six episodes -- I expect supersized episodes anyway. I imagine (hope) the running time with rival almost as if it were 10 episodes 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

My main gripe with this season is it comes across as fan fiction. They are giving viewers what they want with all the good things that have been happening. It really started last season but it was easy to overlook bc of how bad S5 was and we needed some payoffs. Now? Its too easy and predictable and I miss how it used to play with my emotions, with shocking moments where any of the good guys could fall at any given moment. The show needs tragedy and Theon is easily someone that can be killed with a tragic ending by revealing that Euron played him by killing Yara. GoT kind of lost what it was built on and they need to go back to that

• Members

They can't though because GRRM hasn't written it. It's clear that D&D do not have the kind of talent it takes to write GoT.  I won't argue about visuals. They gave everything anyone could have hoped for with the creature effects alone. The problem is the writing. Episode 6 was drivel.  I used to fanwank that we were in a parallel universe. Unfortunately, the inhabitants of that universe lost 50 IQ points to a person.

Do I blame D&D? A little. HBO said it would produce as many seasons as they would write, so I think they should have used more of George's elements and made more seasons, so he could catch up. They also could have bigger delays between seasons.  I suspect they were hot to make that Civil War drama they are going to doing instead. Good luck with that guys really. 

Please register in order to view this content

At the same time expecting anyone to finish this as well as GRRM is unrealistic. He obviously gave them the plot points, but they are struggling to find clever ways to get there. Just as he is struggling to bring his series to a close. I figure it will take him 10 more years.

Episode 6 was terrible Linda of Linda and Elio who is associated with George called them arrogant idiots and tore the episode completely apart. She's not wrong. That caper to bring back a white walker was nonsense, utter nonsense.  They obliviously wrote backward from the plot point of needing an ice dragon to be created. Why for the love of God not have John go up there to save Bran? If Bran really had to get to Winterfell first make it for BenJen. Anything, but the fool's errand of bringing a white walker to Cersi. So, unforgivably stupid.

This show has been a phenomenal hit, so I figure HBO will reboot it the second GRRM finishes. D&D left so many elements out that it could be a completely different show in better hands and with final seasons that make sense.