Wendy Riche returning to daytime?

• Members

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2010/01/10/rumor-report-is-wendy-riche-returning-to-abc-daytime

little birdie just landed next to my laptop and whistled a nice, little song about famed General Hospital executive producer Wendy Riche being thisclose to inking a deal to return to ABC Daytime. Sorry GH fans, we're hearing it isn't the soap she successfully helmed from 1992-2001 that Riche will be assigned to. Instead she would fill the second-in-command producer slot at All My Children, recently vacated by Lisa de Cazotte, who decided not to stay with the sudser once it made the move to La La Land.

After leaving daytime, Riche (who also co-created the GH spinoff Port Charles) moved on to reality TV, serving as co-executive producer on the premiere season of MTV's monster hit reality soap Laguna Beach. In other AMC news, we hear former Days of Our Lives executive producer Shelley Curtis has once again been tapped to work on AMC as a director, Curtis last directed for the soap in 2007

From daytime confidential. This reunites Julie, Wendy and Shelley at AMC. What great news as I wish Wendy was going to be taking over AMC as executive producer. Wendy was HUGE for GH as she led the show during it's glory years. She's a fabulous addition to any show and she brought GH to it's glory years. Wendy is a very demanding, comanding and a visionary. The Labines said the only reason their GH was so successful because of Wendy and she was the one who hated Guza. YAY.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wendy is a fabulous executive producer. She won five emmys for GH and led it to critical acclaim. She is a totla visionary and a feminist. So missing from ABC daytime these days. Hey she stood up to Guza and boy this woman did not take his crap. She about kicked him in the balls until he quit in 2000. He freaking hated her guts and likewise. Wendy is tough but man her GH years were so quality with heart and soul. Claire said the big reason her GH tenure was so succesful and her OLTL/GL stinits were not were because of Wendy. Claire said Wendy had the balls of a brass monkey and would fight like hell for thier vision to be told. She is a very commanding, pushy, demanding executive producer but a total visionary. Woman does not play games.

• Members

It looks like JHC is still running things over there. I doubt JHC is going anywhere soon, especially since she just packed up and moved to LA. That's a cat fight waiting to happen. I never got all the hoopla about Riche anyway. I thought GH was so bland and boring under her and the Labines. They totally neutered the show and made it way too soft and PC.

• Members

I honestly believe if paired with the right HW she would be a great EP. I don't think the same would be said if she was paired with a sucky HW. She's a strong EP who fights for the HW beneath her(or in Guza's case fights with), but I don't find her production values that appealing.

• Members

I don't know what I think about Wendy Riche going to AMC. I have mixed feelings about her tenure on GH. There was good, but lots of bad. My instinct is that daytime needs new blood. Yet Days has had an resurgence with the same people in place. In the end, Riche likely can't/won't make any difference to AMC's ratings because all the ABC soaps have the same vision directed by the network.

• Members

That's strange because SOW reported that Hope Harmel Smith was replacing Lisa de Cazotte in the second-in-command slot.

The fact that Wendy Riche is a strong leader with a vision is why she won't ever be an EP again under Frons. He has a different idea of what the role of an EP should be and it does not include establishing the creative vision for the show (which is why it doesn't matter if JHC is ever let go because she would only be replaced by another lackey).

ETA: With JHC reportedly picking up so many of her former GH friends, I wonder if Karen Harris is a contender for the HW slot?

• Members

Can someone help me understand a particular piece of hypocrisy contradiction, please? Soap fans scream ageism, lack of vets and history, and death to an influx of "newbies"... but in the same breath scream WE NEED NEW BLOOD whenever an (in)experienced or (un)skilled or (un)successful writer/producer is added to the same show. New blood, old blood, if it's tainted -- it's tainted. Hogan Sheffer was new blood, now everybody hates him (and retracts any praise they gave him in the 00's by saying it was old blooded Carolyn Culliton). David Kriezman and Ellen Wheeler were new blood, now everybody calls them show killers. Before Ron Carlivati's second coming, everyone started to write him off because of 1968 and the Rapemance. New or old blooded, I just want someone who can give this show another chance at delivering quality material.

Back on topic.

I do like the fact that Wendy Riche had a vision and did her damnedest to steer the show in the direction of that vision. I see a common thread throughout her GH tenure in various episodes. I don't think JHC has ever had a vision, because AMC has had three different voices under each of the three head writing regimes while she's been there. However, I dislike both of their eyes for production values. GH immediately got more crisp and clean when JFP took over. And what hasn't been said about AMC's Disney cam (including steadicam summer), fluorescent-esque lighting, ugly sets and bland wardrobes? Nevertheless, even through all of that, JHC's biggest offense in my book is her atrocious handling of the budget. Way too many scenes are take place at ConFusion or the Hospital in an effort to save cash. Not to mention the ridiculous dance marathon storyline that was FORCED due to the overrun budget and the need to have all 30 characters in the same place for two weeks! I, personally, always hoped that JHC took it as a smack in the face: "Hey, AMC staff! Guess what! Since you're all here this week taping all on the same set because your show is over budget -- we're moving the entire show to the west coast in 13 weeks because you're SOOOO over budget, it's either that, or you're canceled! Blame Julie. Have a nice summer!"

• Members

There's no contradiction. It's a matter of who is picked and how it's all handled. I don't see anyone talking about No matter who you hire, if he or she is young and fresh, it'll be the salvation. I just see people bored with recycling the various Labines, Riches, De Cazottes etc.

• Members

I suggest that you don't generalize or simplify the opinions of quite a number of different soap fans. From the posts I have read not everyone wants "new blood" or hates Sheffer or has retracted any praise that they gave him (I haven't), and so on.

• Members

I think Riche going to AMC would be amazing. That means there is a possibility that with someone like Riche around, AMC would be able to keep Lorraine Broderick as a permanent head writer and keep AMC on track and at the top of ABC Daytime. Maybe Agnes Nixon has something to do with this and something was said and it went totally over the head of Brian Frons and they are going to have Wendy familiarize herself with the show and then have her move into the EP slot.

When JHC's contract was renewed, did we hear for how long? Maybe JHC isn't moving back to LA, maybe she is just moving with AMC temporarily during their transition. With that being said, I think having Riche on board and LB in place, AMC would make an amazing come back.

Archived