Wendy Riche returning to daytime?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All I'm saying is IMO, things are happening at ABC Daytime that hasn't been made public. ABC wouldn't be doing all this stuff for AMC for nothing. AMC was the first soap on ABCD to reach number 1, GH may have held the position longer, but AMC is a much more critically acclaimed soap and can easily be repaired with the right people in place. With this move across country, the controversy with Pratt, something or someone went over Frons. With names like Lorraine Broderick and Wendy Riche floating around ABCD, something is going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

• Members

I think a lot of the opinions change as time changes. Wheeler and Kriezman were praised for their first few years at GL. Around 2006 and 2007 that started to seriously decline. The people who liked their early work probably still do. The people who thought highly of Carlivati's early work as headwriter probably still do, they just haven't been as fond of what he's done since summer or fall 2008. Sheffer was actually quite lucky -- he was praised to the skies for his ATWT work. Then when the show started to suck, a lot of fans were willing to find other people to blame besides him, they claimed that somehow his true vision was being stifled. The same happened at DAYS -- oh, he can't be to blame, it's all Corday's fault, or it's the budget's fault. Only at Y&R, where he has repeated the same awful stories for the second or third or fourth times, has some of the hype really started to fade away.

I guess you could say that new daytime writers are defeated by hype they can never live up to. I do think that it varies depending on the writer.

• Members

I'm not going to apologize for wanting new blood. Hell I want new soaps but I'm not going to get those either. I'm tired of seeing the same names make the rounds and bringing us the same stories. I'm to the point where I don't even want to see rerun of writers I liked. I loved Malone but I don't really want to see him as HW at another soap. I'm not familiar with Riche so I have nothing against her. I'm just tired of seeing the same thing over and over.

• Members

And that touches on my question. What is it that's expected? Is the "new" writer(s)/producer expected to bring something new and fresh to the show or are they expected to do what the old blood did? That's where the contradiction resides for me and why I asked for clarification.

Archived