Death of Phil Capice

• Members

Whilst working at Benton & Bowles,he was involved with Edge of Night.

His name was used for the long running character played by Ray McDonnell(now Joe AMC)

From Hollywood Reporter:

Philip Capice, an Emmy- and Peabody Award-winning producer who served as president of Lorimar Prods., died peacefully Dec. 30 at his home in Los Angeles. He was 78.

At Lorimar, Capice executive produced 200 episodes of "Dallas" and 112 episodes of "Eight Is Enough." He earned his Emmy for exec producing "Sybil," a 1976 telefilm directed by Daniel Petrie that starred Sally Field and Joanne Woodward.

Other producing credits include the miniseries "Studs Lonigan"; telefilms "The Pride of Miss Jane Pittman," "Helter Skelter" and "A Man Called Intrepid"; and the series "Knots Landing," "Falcon's Crest" and "The Blue Knight."

Capice began his broadcasting career at New York advertising agency Benton & Bowles in 1954, then was director of special programs at CBS from 1969-74, where he developed its Charlie Brown and Dr. Seuss animated features, among other programming.

He moved to Los Angeles to work as vp creative affairs at Lorimar from 1974-78, eventually becoming president of the company in 1978. Capice had an agreement with Lorimar that allowed him to produce programs through his independent company, Raven's Claw Prods. He retired in 1986.

A native of Bernardsville, N.J., Capice was a member of the TV academy and the Caucus for Producers, Writers & Directors.

He is survived by his sisters, Rosemarie, Nancy and Carolyn; his godson, Jonathan; and many nieces and nephews. A mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church in Bernardsville.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, that was Leonard Katzman. After he left, and Capice assumed more responsibility over the show, Hagman threatened to quit, b/c he felt Capice had "feminized" the series too much, making it too glitzy in order to compete w/ "Dynasty". This was also during the time that Patrick Duffy was away from the show (a.k.a. the infamous "Dream Year").

• Members

Well the show did get glitzy and more OTT so I can see where he is coming from. If you watch the first mini series and even the first full season or two, it is as unglamorous as it gets and there is no trace that the rich dress different or have fancy cars. Jock has a pimpmobile if I recall, a Lincoln Continental. And yet as the show did get a little feminized, it found its soapy stride. The Dream Year was probably its glitziest but the show was about to start a slow death with the departure of Victoria Principal anyway.

• Members

LOL! Suddenly, I have this image in my head of ol' Jock Ewing, wearing a purple velour leisure suit (and matching fedora!), and a bunch of his, um, "ladies" with him in his car.

I don't know if the "Dream Year" was "feminized" so much as "off." So many stories from that year - Anjelica Nero, in particular - just plain wouldn't work on any series, let alone "Dallas".

• Members

Oh wow, I thought he had already passed a few years ago. May he rest in peace.

Ah yes, Angelica Nero and her right hand gal, the sort of unspoken lipstick lesbian thing and all. I loved Dynasty for all its glitz, but I always appreciated what the rich folks on Dallas and Knots had going which was less of a fantasy but more of an attainable wealth. You know, the difference between a Benz and a Rolls.

• Members

I think the loss of Jock was a huge turning point for the show because Jim Davis was so macho and Jock was so dominant in all his scenes. Once he was gone all the manly man stuff started disappearing. No more rodeos, no more feud with Digger...suddenly it was Clayton, his sister, and people like Katherine Wentworth. Katherine, Clayton's sister and Angelica Nero were all fine as villains but if Jock was around he would have just laughed at them and told them to shut up and find a man. Then he and Ray would have gone rounded up some cattle.

• Members

The dream season didn't work because they moved Peter Dunne from Knots Landing and David Paulsen left Dallas for Knots. Not a huge failure (Dunne had nothing to do with the dream idea), but it wasn't a success for either show. On Knots the women were minimized and it became more masculine. This was the season following the cliffhanger where Abby located Val's babies. Dallas, of course, became more feminized. Dallas already had strong women, Donna and Miss Ellie, so this wasn't needed. Sue Ellen may be weak, but she was very entertaining. I think Jenna came out best in the dream season.

• Members

What was that KL season? Was that when Gary blew up the land which had a spy organization? Or was that the season where that awful woman who was Ben's ex-spy partner blackmailed him? I hated that exit for Ben.

With Dallas I just got tired of "JR is a bastard who always wins" and "Sue Ellen is a pathetic drunk who can never have a life without JR, but is miserable when she's with him." I didn't mind the part of the dream season which tried to get out of that hole, although I know they went back to it soon enough.

They also did a Down's story, didn't they?

What did Jenna do in that season?

• Members

Season Seven. Gary blew up Empire Valley and divorced Abby. Jill Bennett and Peter Hollister arrived, but this was before either did anything too interesting. I'm not 100%, but I do think this is the season with the spy story where Lilimae was put into a headlock by Ben. :P This is the season Joshua died and Cathy left on her singing tour. It was okay, but didn't feel too much like Knots.

I loved Sue Ellen. She's just a gold digging slut and she could be so mean that she was the perfect match for JR. I couldn't feel too bad for her because she always went back, and as I mentioned, she's a bitch, lol. I loved the season with Super!Gay!Peter and how Sue Ellen deprived JR of sex. She had some great lines and only had sex with JR once. I was so disappointed to see the next season all was forgotten and she and JR was suddenly in love and had no problems in their relationship.

Yeah, Donna and Ray adopted a boy with Down Syndrome. I believe Donna was also pregnant with a baby who had it. When the dream happened they gave her a miscarriage to prevent her from having that baby. I was upset about that. We all know why they did it. What bothered me most is how in season 8, the Donna Reed season, Donna was working at Ewing Oil for a short time, but it never went anywhere. Bobby got his eye sight back the next week and it was over. Donna vs JR could've been classic. Susan Howard could go toe-to-toe with anyone on this show.

My memory is hazy, but I believe she romanced Jack and she had really nice hair this season. Jenna had potential, but was largely a mess. Most of the time they wrote her as such a passive, put upon heroine and I was bored most of the time. Especially when she was with Ray.

• Members

I don't remember all that much about Donna, although most people who do remember her thought she was a strong character. Did she just sort of vanish?

I miss the way Priscilla Presley used to look before all her surgery. I think she, like Joan Van Ark, had already started that by the time she was on primetime soaps, but she didn't look too bad then. It's still odd to remember she and Morgan Fairchild played the same role.

I think Ben left the season after Cathy. That story ended with a whimper. I didn't love either of those seasons, if my memory serves. The season where Ben left was a big transition season, because Paige and Anne both showed up. That was also when Laura was pregnant with Meg and when Karen was kidnapped by one of the show's first generic psychos.

The most I remember about the season where Cathy left was the Ben/Valene wedding (I really liked them as a couple) and the Abby/Gary breakup. Gary blowing up his land was such a WTF moment, but entertaining. I was disappointed when they had to punish him a few years later by saying his making the land go boom had poisoned Lotus point and killed the beloved groundskeeper Mr. Lee.

Karen: I visited Mr. Lee. He's not doing well today.

Me: Who is Mr. Lee?

Karen: Mr. Lee...died.

Everyone: Oh no!

Me: Is that like 1 2 3 look at Mr. Lee?

• Members

Donna was actually given a great season long send off. It was the post-dream season where David Paulsen returned. Many view this as the last really great season (I disagree, love the last two seasons). Donna and Ray were having problems and there was a will they-won't they affair story she had with a politician in Washington. Ultimately she and Ray couldn't make it work so she moved to Washington and that was that. I was disappointed to see Donna go, but the story was good and fit their history.

I can't believe you don't remember Donna. She was fierce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2OLPXPFKPU

What I'm noticing as I rewatch the series is how wasted Lucy was. She only had one good story the entire time she was on Dallas. That would be the romance with Mickey. Even then they wasted so much of the season before putting them together. Then after a couple episodes he was in a coma then died. Such a waste!

Archived