AMC: The New Headwriter Thread

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They really are pushing this return to character based stories (I guess they finally realized their huge mistake with the plot-driven crap being a huge turn-off). This was from the Soapnet 2010 AMC Preview:

Early heads up, loyal AMC fans. Look for February to be a critical month in Pine Valley. AMC goes back to basics and gives us the thing you've always loved best about the show -- character, character, character. With one really big, really unexpected twist.

• Members

Yeah, at least the show became watchable again under Pratt. I quit for a few months under McTavish after she killed off Dixie and tuned back in for B&E only to be bored enough to stop watching for a few months again (and annoyed at how Greenlee conveniently was no longer responsible for Spike's deafness).

Without a doubt, McTavish was the most detrimental. I would put B&E second because they continued her focus on the Slater/Laverys and made it more difficult to watch than Pratt did.

I need to echo Eric's sentiment--bring on Broderick!

• Members

I posted this in the Writers/Directors thread, but it's better here...

Jamey at DC said Lorraine herself is saying this is just a temporary situation for her, but who knows...

I'm still lost as to why Frons would hire someone to be a temporary transition head-writer when he could have let someone on the existing team do that and not have to pay for someone else. Who is Frons seriously considering to be the full time Head Writer for AMC? It should be an interesting next couple of months for this show...

• Members

Then that makes me think all the more she did it at Agnes' request in a way as a favour. One can only hope Frons will lay off (he seems to SOMEWHAT be learning to do this a bit more--but who knows) and let her work and she'll enjoy it and stay. Or at least get some talented people under her shoulder.

• Members

I don't think he's learned anything. He's decided he wants to save AMC and they're pouring a lot of money into this so he has to make it work. Now I genuinely think he's going to try to give fans what they want so he can justify saving AMC over OLTL. Honestly, I do kinda agree with him. It's often the highest ratings ABC soap and that's with terrible writing. Imagine what it could potentially do with better production values and writing. Plus it's easier to promote AMC than OLTL. The stars are actually well known outside of soaps. People recognize the characters. You can send Debbi Morgan, Susan Lucci, David Canary and Cameron Mathison out to do lots of promo.

I'm very optomistic. I'm hoping for a big turnaround like when the British soaps get revived. They've taken absolute garbage and made it gold. It's never too late.

Archived