AMC: The New Headwriter Thread

• Members

I was gonna just add this to the 10+ page "Lorraine Broderick is NOT the new headwriter of AMC" thread but I hate that thread title so decided not to :P

With the (guarded) optimism about the spoilers for AMC coming up, the repeated stress on Feb bringing a shocking return and a focus on "character, character, character", and questions about when we'll officially see the writing change, what Broderick's role will be, tc,I thought it was time for yet another thread.

I'm not sure how many read the interview with Agnes Nixon in SOD a week or two back. It's a great piece with some actually new tidbits from her, although I wish it was longer than three pages or so (couldn't they have cut the article about Rick Hearst's hair [!], or cut back a page of the questionaire asking about how stars spend their New Year Eves). Anyway, as we all know Agnes is such a lady that she never discusses her disagreements or problems with others--in that hours long youtube interview you just have to guess by some of her brief replies or facial expressions about some of the people she's asked about. But she does say a few things that IMHO hint that she's pleased with who now is in charge (which could give credit to the theory me and others suggested that Lorraine is back as a favour to Agnes herself--or was asked by her given as the rumour is Lorraine said in the past, re OLTL she wouldn't work under Frons)

Here are the specific quotes, D refers to Digest, AN to Nixon. The bold is done by me.:

D: You remain involved with AMC as a story consultant. Do you still watch?

AN: Not every day, but I'm very into it, yeah.

D: When you watch, do you see two characters together and think, "Hmm, that might be an interesting pairing"?

AN: I don't think of just a pairing. I think, "What's wrong with that? What can BE wrong? What slings and arrows of outrageous fortune?" -- to quote another writer, a little better known [laughs]. What interests me is people and their makeup.

D: When you watch AMC, does it still feel like yours?

AN: Not always. But I think it will again .

D: Will you miss having the show in New York?

AN: Oh I will, yes. It was fun while it was here. But that's life. I understand financially how it is so much better, cost-wise, on the West Coast.

[lotsa stuff here about how she feels sorry about the crew out of work, bla bla, Agnes is sweet, we get it.]

D: As the show enters its 41st, what do you think is the key to its longevity and to its future?

AN: Characters that people identify with, empathize with and recognize. And say, "There but for the grace of God go I." I mean that's what they can sabou tabout Erica and what is so important. I write only from character. There have been other writers at times who don't and that's all right, that's their way to do it. [At first I thought she meant soap writers for other shows here, now I think she may mean past AMC writers.] But I can't get involved in that. [Very long pause] But we're back on track [laughs].

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looking forward to Broderick's reign starting in February, and whatever it has to bring. I am confident that she'll slowly pick up AMC off the ground. It's going to take some time, Pratt left a lot of damage. It's going to be hard as hell restoring some of these damaged characters. The latest February spoilers seem promising, character-driven storylines are what AMC needs DESPERATELY. The show is Plot-Driven OUT. Enough is enough. February can't come soon enough!

An airdate NEEDS to be given by ABC and quick! All I know is that Walt Willey (Jackson) Tweeted early yesterday morning that he was taping an episode in the new LA Studio that day, and that the episode would air FEBRUARY 8th! So it's coming up very close...can't wait! :rolleyes:

• Members

Sorry I accidentally posted that before I finished what I was writing--it's all there now.

Jonathan can't you or someone take in one of those little voice recorder things--like I have from when I record University lectures and then upload the file here? :wub: (You better at least be taking a camera--I want to have a pic of you with Lucci and Nixon so I can throw darts at it out of jealousy)

• Members

Gee, I thought we were friends and now you want to throw darts at my beautiful mug? :lol:

I know in year's past, WCBS in NY televised some of the panels locally so maybe it'll end up on youtube.

Wow, there's a lot of subtext going on in Agnes's interview. In my mind, she went over Frons's head and called Anne Sweeney and demanded that Pratt be fired so that she can take back her show. :D

• Members

The thing is the lady is smart, and yet so careful about what she says and not to offend (something so many in the soap industry could benefit to learn...) That yeah--I read a lot (I admit, maybe too much) into those few words too... She definitely seems aware that there has been a problem and what the problem was, and Broderick was basically her protogee from '79 (going by credits) through to '90 or so and then back in the '90s, so it doesn't seem too optimistic a stretch that this is some doing of Agnes.

Of course even with Broderick there she still will continue to ghostwrite ANY scene or line of dialogue that feels like classic AMC (or even is somewhat decent :P ) and anything else will have absolutely nothing to do with her. :wub:

• Members

Oh and in the same interview when asked who her fave of Erica's relationships has been she says she doesn't know, then quickly backs up and says Jackson cuz she firmly believes their story isn't done yet... Read into that what you will but obviously she at least wants him on the show.

I agree with you although I don't even think Pratt is fully to blame--there's been a lot of damage done for a while now (and don't get me wrong over thepast five years there has been stuff, quite a bit really that I have liked, but...)

• Members

Jack Schmack, he's always felt like such a default choice for her, a man like Dimitri is time enough for Erica. My mom always liked Jack with Brooke though. But without question or equivocation, Jack > Ryan, ANYday.

• Members

I saw that part in the interview about her liking the Jerica romance. I want Walt Willey on contract, and that just gave me hope that he will be soon enough. He has both Susan Lucci and Agnes Nixon advocating for him to still be on the show, full time it seems. I hope he get's a contract, just like Jill Larson did..

AMC has slowly been tarnished these last couple years, your right, just not by Pratt. McTavish and E&B all had their share in damaging the show. I just think Pratt had the largest part in it. He was only on AMC for a little over a year, but he made so many bad mistakes and questionable decisions. This last year has been one of the most negative towards AMC. Everywhere you go, no ones nice about the show. It's all negativity, nastiness, hate, pure loathe, even as I type! I can't wait for this hacks material to subside. This is a new beginning for AMC, I hope it prevails and rises up from this mess...I think it can and will, if handled right :rolleyes:

• Members

Yeah I agree with all that.

I have to say while he's perhaps done more damage he has--especially in his first half year at least made the show watchable for me even if sometimes it's ina "WTF" way--so much of the B/E (and last half year of McTavish) was just BORING--one storyline, NO momentum, nothing, to me in some ways that was as damaging even if it didn't affect the canvas as much. That said--bring on Broderick :)

• Members

I hope that the amount of time they're taking is a sign that this will be well thought out. I'm somehow doubting people like Lynn Marie Latham, Chuck Pratt and David Kriezman submitted bibles for their new soap gigs. I think a lot of the recent stuff is based on them selling it in meetings and name value. Friends in the right place. On the other hand, firing Pratt could've been such a last minute move that they didn't even have anyone in mind. It's clear ABC plans to heavily promote this LA move and want the show to be good when people tune in for the HD/LA episodes.

But I'm going to keep hoping writers, including Broderick, are preparing their bibles to present to Frons and that hack Carutthers and hopefully they pick the right one.

Archived