OLTL: Discussion for the week December 14

• Members

Right. Make no mistake, Amelia/Delfina is just an outrageously out there pairing, but it's not impossible.

But come on, all this stuff goes down in one day, and suddenly we got Amelia and Delfina with this deep "couple" scene and everybody around them saying "Aw, yall still love each other." Am I the ONLY one who thinks that's just too damn much?

I have no problem with this happening because I was more than ready for Amelia to stop acting like her and Dorian were a real couple, but this could have happened just a bit slower.

ETA: Oliver's in his uniform too! Oh my God. *squee* Send Kyle off to medical school to become a real doctor. I absolutely adore the idea of a gay couple following such a classic soap couple template: the office and the doctor. I want that.

Amelia and Delfina's kiss was gross and awkward. Probably because the actresses have never shared a scene with each other ever before this. Seriously, Ron. Just...ugh.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do think it's a bit fast, but then I think with some of the lower tier characters, they almost have to rush, because only so much time will be allowed them for the characters who aren't more prominent. They also rushed through a lot of the early Kish stuff, and Kyle/Nick.

• Members

Oh Chah-lih, Chah-lih, CHAH-LIH! WHY!? Brian Irwin is a good actor, he's doing a really good job of making me feel conflicting emotions about Charlie. I feel his pain, but you just don't like to our Viki. And beyond the compassion for someone battling the disease of alcoholism, there is this dirty, dishonest side that you can't help but be repulsed by.

• Members

Ugh....Mitch vs. John is so unecessary.

:wub: I just love how Brody is one of the few men on ABC Daytime with morals and such :lol: The other day it was him being conflicted about John's actions and today he's encouraging Jess to be honest. This network doesn't make men like these anymore.

• Members

Shoot, I thought Amelia and DORIAN's kiss was awkward too, but not on Robin's side, the other actress seems most uncomfortable and she's playing the lesbian.

Sidenote: No spoilers here, but Robin teased some funny upcoming stuff on her hotline.

• Members

I like Brody. Though they try to parade him around like eye candy which is something I generally dislike about soaps, he still manages to get no "hate" from me because he is written, like you said, as caring and moral and the actor seems humble and determined to do good work. He is sort of the anti-Rex, and in some ways I imagine he is something like a modern-day Joe Riley, the sensitivity of a boy, the strength of a man.

• Members

I don't think Amelia and Delphina is implausible at all, actually. Lesbians pair up in all sorts of wacky combinations. There are reasons terms like "butch" and "femme" exist. And really, it's just a side plot to give Amelia some resolution.

I thought Brian Kerwin did an amazing job playing the ugly side of alcoholism today, quite subtly. It was hard to watch.

• Members

I think that seemed to be slower paced because they were a backdrop to Paris, Texas, which went on for several months.

I don't mean to blame the pacing issues on Frons, because the pacing is problematic in a lot of stories, but sometimes I do wonder if they are very guarded in just how much focus can go to gay characters. I think of something like Cris/Layla, which hasn't had a lot of airtime, but the pacing has been more natural.

He's quite an actor. I guess we've all had that bitter, pain-stricken alcoholic among us, the person who is slowly dying inside. He plays that very well.

• Members

Brian Kerwin was indeed amazing today. I'm so intregued as to where the show is taking this story. The show was tugging on my heart strings when we listened to Viki's voicemail today.

I want them to play up the Brody/Charlie connection in this story. Where Bo is a like surrogate father to Rex, I see a similar relationship happening between Charlie and Brody. By getting Jessica involved with Charlie's drinking, they could have her and Brody try to help Charlie get back on the wagon.

This is true, he is very much the anti-Rex, which is why I adore the character.

• Members

Oops, my bad, I feel like everyone is writing out his name because I accidentally called him "Irwin" instead of Kerwin! :lol::P But yes, fine job indeed.

It's interesting about OLTL having "too many characters", because I must say, I do find myself interested in the majority of them, even preferring some of the recurring/dayplayer characters to some of the contract players.

• Members

That's the dilemma with OLTL. Their "names" are often the biggest albatrosses to any given episode. I remember when DC and other sites were gaga over Gigi and Rex and how they were one of the best couples of the year. Something tells me that

we may get that drumbeat again. <_<

Archived