Y&R Discussion: Week of 11/30

• Members

So somene's idea of a 'maverick millionaire' is someone who wears converse sneakers without laces.

That montage of Chloe trying on dresses was painful. That only works in comedies.

Neil described Gloria and Jefferey really well.

Then he falls in love with his divorce lawyer...Rafe.

I wouldn't be suprised if this is the beginning of the end for JT/Victoria.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I was going to watch Tuesday's episode of Y&R just now... but instead I decided to watch some classic "Loving" on YouTube. Christine Tudor, Linden Ashby, Susan Walters, Roya Megnot, Lisa Peluso. Oh, and Laura Wright. Holy sh!t, is that Amelia Heinle?! She looks absolutely beautiful and so vibrant and lively. Vamptoria CAN act. It's true!

I think this is the end of Y&R for me. At least for a while.

• Members

I cannot tell a lie, I will go down with this ship, I have been watching this show since 1975, and it is the only soap I watch on a regular basis. So I will be there for the duration. I miss the slow telling of stories, and I do miss the great characters who actually had motivation for their behaviour. That said I am going to watch this show until the light fades.

And giggling heffa or not still a Phyllis/Stafford fan

• Members

Gloria and Jeffrey are supposed to make us laugh!

I am trying to imagine Rafe and JT furiously tying each other's ties, as a horrified Victoria walks in. Then she remembers queer stuff is hilarious, and she falls to the floor in laughter. Then Nick asks them if they're going to wear dresses.

I'm so tired of Victoria and her spoiled brat ways. It even got tiresome with Heather Tom, but at least she was only in her teens and 20s. Victoria is now pushing 40, and nothing is still good enough for her.

• Members

Is that sarcasam or are you being serious?

This made me think about something that happened on yesterday's show. When Heather said "I hope you and he are happy together", did anyone else get the feeling that she was making fun of Adam and using his trist with Rafe as a way to do it? Maybe it was just Vail's delivery of the line.

I know. Chloe, Ashley, and Phyllis would love to have a husband who doesn't cheat on them with their first love.

• Members

I've been watching Y&R on time everything so far this week. Still, I can't motivate myself to discuss the show and I see I'm not the only one. I'm sorry but there is nothing interesting going on. It's incredibly dull. At least back in the day although a story could drag out, you tune in and see your favorite characters. Interesting characters at least. Even if it was a bad story it was better than what we have now. It's boring, everyone seems like such window dressing and it can't be because of Nikki and Victor because they were supporting characters themselves. I want to quit Y&R but I can't do that. I never have and I just can't. Besides, I have no suitable replacement right now.

For a while I'd changed my mind about Boris and Natasha, but now that they have money they're no fun. I do love the actor playing Ryder. I wish he were Chance (the role he auditioned for). I think that character would've taken flight, but as usual these days they're writing within these poor actors limitatons. Victoria, Cane, Lily, Mac, Billy, Chance: All potentially brilliant characters played by bad, mediocre and/or lazy actors. Y&R needs a real ball buster like Ed Scott who will [!@#$%^&*] these kids up. I would definitely be busting some people up side the head. And Adrienne Frantz needs to lay off the bleach before she's bald. New hairdressers please!

Now I have nothing positive to look forward to. Just that dried up California raisin ruining one of my favorite characters.

• Members

I don't think they're writing based on the limitations of the actors. I think they are extremely limited writers and the show lets the actors stagnate. Braeden, Bergman, CLB, Sharon Case, among many others, have not been at their bets this year, and many times, the writing is to blame. Case can grieve like few actors can, yet they completely ignored Sharon's grief because they care more about opening her legs yet again.

I think Chance was screwed from the start because they only brought him back to be a foil to Billy. The "good", boring counterpart to our beloved antihero. That's why they cast Driscoll, although Driscoll can be better if he gets a chance.

Ryder is a brooding Twilight wannabe, angst and gauntness all over the place. The actor fits that part.

• Members

Exactly and they are only interested in plot points. They refuse to allocate the time and effort to set up a story and then show the proper beats throughout. These writers are so blinded by shock and awe tactics they have no concept of the long term value of family relationships, romance, friendship, rivals, etc. The whims of the current plot always take precedence over established patterns of behavior and over established relationships and emotional beats that would make sense to include in said story.

Like many writing regimes they've chosen the easy path: Plot driven over character and newbies.

The show has lost its luster and it starts with the writing but there are plenty of problem areas from production to casting.

Archived