Gotham: The Series

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This episode is sort of like what I said in the general websoap topic: Can something 3 minutes in length really be a satisfying dramatic experience? There was very little story and not even a point A to point B. It was more like Point A. If there was supposed to be something to reel me in, I am at a loss as to what that was supposed to be.

• Members

I was thoroughly impressed with the opening sequence, but..............

(Martha, please don't hate me)...

The opening went on too long.

The music was too loud.

The audio for the actors sucked.

The martini-toting gay guy was horrible.

And the "episode" was waaaaayyyyy too short. (In a web series, the first episode makes or breaks it...it's best to hook viewers and leave them wanting more. The only "hook" in the 1st episode was the myserious connection between MP and MB's characters..in other words: not enough)

• Members

The music was too loud and a bit too generic. I wasn't convinced the house would be the site for some posh benefit.

I want to like it - I'm more interested in it than Venice the overgrown fanfic - but there were some flaws. The biggest one is the length. "Written by Martha Byrne and Lisa Brown?" Really? For a little over 3 minutes? These websoaps need to be like the early days of daytime, when episodes were about 10-15 minutes long apiece. Do that.

• Members

Overall I liked it. It has the great Martha Byrne in it and Lisa Brown too. Look at the credits and there are many familiar names from ATWT.

I agree with the criticisms though. It was too short. The music too loud. The first thing I thought about the audio was GUIDING LIGHT circa February 29!

But--hey this is Martha Byrne! I get to see her again! Lisa is there! Michael Park and the divine Maeve Kinkaed (sp)!!

I can't wait to see future episodes!

• Members

It was too short, I wouldn't call it a first episode, but more of a teaser. Hopefully the future episodes will be longer. Honestly, why can't they do 7-10 minutes at least? Ideally I'd say do a 15 minute soap and take us full circle. I didn't like the gay stereotype, but overall it was well shot and has potential.

• Members

Didn't read the end credits till now, nice to see my friend who works makeup at ATWT doing the same here.

Why does the logo read more like a logo for a Gold Rush era show?\

My other thoughts--It has promise but yeah 1:15 minutes of drama is beyond ridiculous. Maybe if we got those episodes daily, but I'm assuming we won't. It was over before I even got a sense who anyone was. The gay guy looks annoying already. And I'm glad everyone seems to think the music was too loud--I swear I missed 1/3 of the dialogue...

• Members

Sorry. GOTHAM may improve, but the first eppy was pathetic. You can't tell story in three minutes. You can't even set up story in three minutes. And what was with those credits? What a waste of time. We get that Martha is the executive producer and writer. Run them like Y&R does under the action. I may tune back in, or not. It's really a pretty lame attempt.

• Members

I forgot all about the sound quality. It was dreadful. The footsteps in the house were overpowering the dialogue as well. The camerawork was decent except for one sloppy bit of framing by the car where people's heads were briefly chopped off, but the human mind compensates for bad visuals far more easily than it will to bad audio. Audio quality is the most important thing from a technical standpoint, and Gotham needs some work.

• Members

I'm intrigued, but yes, I could have gone for a few more minutes. Kinda cool that they didn't even give me a chance to get bored though. Believe it or not, these days I get antsy even with a 5 min. web soap, I have this *thing* where I get annoyed when the buffering bar won't fully load and I can't fast forward without screwing up and having to start all over again. Where has my attention span gone...

• Members

Every other week is mostly run-of-the-mill for web soaps. Gives them enough time between episodes to edit and stuff like that. Although with a poor opening episode like this, I can see it being more hurtful than helpful.

Like I said before, the audio was awful. Dialogue was muffled, there were echos in the hallway, and the voices could hardly be heard over the blaring music.

I'm not sure if it was the character or the poorly written dialogue or the awful acting skills, but Craig's character was boring. (And honestly, a "wtf" moment..)

Webseries are usually written in regular format (45 minutes to an hour) and broken into however long the EP or Director decides is a good length. So, yes, the episode was 3 minutes long (most of that was overtaken by huge credits), but the script for the whole series (usually around 15-20 webclips) was written by Lisa and Martha.

• Members

That makes sense about a longer script being written and this ismore like the first part of the episode (I remember Herskovitz/Zwick's failed 1/4 Life webseries which I followed worked this way) but seriously if all that was just the intro scene before the first commercial break I honestly am not sure I'd stay tuned through the commercials. There has to be more there.

Archived