Gotham: The Series

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thing is that web series have been around for a while and they are mostly 3-5 minutes. Some are longer if they have sponsorship but most home-grown web series/soaps are very short. In fact, some air once a week, bi-weekly, once a month etc.

I think the difference with non-sponsored web series is that the "creators" are in charge not sponsors or TV execs. And they are doing this as a act of love and usually not for profit, so they have complete control. So this model at first isn't going to be for everyone liking because they aren't like traditional daytime or primetime.

Here is a site with a lot different web series!

http://slebisodes.com/Web_Series_Guide/Guide_Drama.html

• Members

Damn you Eric, whenever I see "Gotham" in that font, I think of stagecoaches, old prospectors, and the Gold Rush. :P

I think episodes 1 & 2 should have been combined for episode 1 (a special 10 minute movie premiere! :P ) I found myself being drawn in, but honestly, it's too soon and the episodes are too short for me to tell if it's these little glimpses of story or just this concept (familiar soap faces doin' it for themselves) that have got me interested. If you're only going to give me 5 minutes, 2.5 of them can't be credits and slo-mo musical montagey stuff. I know we're just establishing here, but the eps feel too much like teasers, and why am I afraid that it'll be episode 53 before Martha Byrne's character catches that train she's leaving for...

Sure Lawrence and Karla were on a soap, but I wouldn't call Wed-Locked a soap at all, it's serio-comic (heavier on the comic) vignettes, not serialized, and it works for what it is in that short 5 min. format. This soap thing is much harder to pull off in such short spurts.

They could use a boom mic (if they aren't already using one), it sounds like they're grabbing audio just off of the camera's mic. They would do that on The City every now and then when they were feeling particularly artsy (that and shoot long, out of focus shots for an entire scene), and depending on how it's done, that can be effective. Here, it's coming across a little amateur I'm afraid.

I agree that MK's hair looks great here, silver chic, on GL they'd clip it back sometimes and she just looked dull and matronly. I remember on WoST there being a mini-argument about how Vanessa would NEVER go grey yadda yadda :lol: She could use a rival in the form of a Marj Dusay or Liz Hubbard to really get things popping off of my computer monitor.

• Members

Here I go being board heretic again: I liked it.

The audio issues were greatly improved from episode one. Not perfect by any means but definitely better.

MK reminded me a lot of Susan Sullivan's character on "Castle." (That's a compliment.)

And lastly, I'm genuinely intrigued by the story. I want to learn more about these characters and their connections to each other. That's more than I've felt for network soaps in years.

• Members

HAHA on seeing it a second ime I thought the same and then remembered I already commented on it in ep 1 lol--the one that's used in page one here looks a bit more modern--the one on the opening credits is SOO gold rush--I really don't get the thought behind it.

Meldue--my fave creators of primetime domestic dramas, Herskovitz/Zwick got a lot of flack for their webseries 1/4 Life, and I know it was shot on a more professional budget, yet they managed to make each episode actually get you hooked.

• Members

I haven't watched Gotham yet, but this might get me to do it. They're bringing in Melanie Smith! One of the sexiest actresses ever on soaps, so brilliant as Emily that my memories of her were singed into my brain and stayed there, long before Youtube ever existed.

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2009/12/melanie-smith-returns-to-soaps-joins.html

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I think the episodes have definitely gotten better. As they progress, they get longer and longer. The opening sequence is lots more tolerable. The audio isn't as dodgy as it was before. And the characters are intriguing.

I'd love to see more of Anne Sayre's character. I'm just worried that "Tina" is going to turn into a "Mitzi Matters"-redux.

Kin Shriner's remarkable as a deadbeat, food-bumming, slobby ex-husband.

The actress playing Ava is extremely talented; and she looks like Martha, too!

Catherine and Richard's history is finally starting to come to fruition. This past episode, there were some wonderful scenes that revealed Richard had once been part of Catherine's parents' lives. And apparently, they died when she was in school.

Brianne Moncrief seems to be talented, but I can't get over the fake country accent.

Paolo was toting a very itty bitty gun when he angrily confronted "Richard" about his money. I doubt someone like Richard would have any trouble getting money, but I could be wrong. There might be more to the story here.

Anyone else have thoughts about the past few episodes?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I haven't been following most of this so I can't comment on the previous episodes yet. The garishly lit dream sequence, complete with music which sounded like the male half of that Muppet Show couple who would sing old standards before getting washed or blown away, wasn't a great start.

But...

Melanie Smith!

It's 1989 all over again!!

She still kicks ass, she's still confident and strong and has such sharp line readings. I was caught up in the drama between these sisters and how she ran rings around Martha's character.

Lisa Peluso was great too, it's also nice to see another underused vet, although I didn't quite get into that story.

Archived