Great Women of Soaps

• Members

I'm assuming that's what happened as both shows were from the same production company under David Jacobs. I don't remember who, but Berrenger's even had a Knots character on it. The show wasn't by any means a spinoff, but I do remember from reading about it that the two shows shared a character or two.

I hate it when things like that get taken down from YouTube while millions of stupid videos remain, but I'm glad I got the chance to see them while they were up. I don't know about Berrenger's, but Emerald Point NAS's theme song (just audio, no video unfortunately) is still online, just Google for it. It's also by Bill Conti and I think he *kinda* recycled it for The Colbys. ;) It's another great military/Star Wars sounding TV theme.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bill Conti's pretty ace at that, I'll have to do a search. That's interesting there was a shared character with Knots--I'd love to find out who and if they ever advertised that.

There were more of these Dallas/Dynasty primetime rip offs in the 80s than I intiially was aware of--flop ones I mean--I had never heard of The Yellow Rose till today, either.

• Members

And I want to see every single episode of every single one of them, too! I ache to see "Bare Essence," with Genie Francis, though I'm sure the series isn't as great as the mini-series, which I have seen (it's on YouTube) and features Genie, Linda Evans, Donna Mills, Bruce Boxleitner, Joel Higgins, Lee Grant, and the like. Also, the one that I've read the very least about is "King's Crossing," which was supposedly a retooled version of "Secrets of Midland Heights" and had the late Mary Frann shortly before she did "Newhart." TVLand aired an episode of "The Yellow Rose" years ago, probably for some type of westerns marathon.

"Flamingo Road" is my love, and I'm so glad I got to watch most of the series when it was on Goodlife years ago. And I hate SOAPnet for moving away from stuff like "Paper Dolls" by the time I got it.

• Members

Same here with Soapnet ditching the classic '80s primetime stuff just before I got it, AND same with Goodlife getting rid of Flamingo Road just before I got it. Goodlife is now Hallmark right? No, something else. This is when I had Time Warner Cable, I know Goodlife went through some kind of revamp, I don't remember. I used to watch those kinda surreal color musical episodes of The Honeymooners on there, with the new Alice and Trixie. Another station I loved was Ovation, they used to air all of that great stuff from the Broadway Theatre Archive where you could catch tons of familiar actors in early roles on the New York stage, but I digress...

I believe Michael Zaslow was also in Kings Crossing.

I'd really like to see Bare Essence too, it's crazy how almost every role was recast (Jessica Walter for Lee Grant, Jennifer O'Neill for Linda Evans, Jaime Lyn Bauer for Donna Mills...).

• Members

OMG!!! That Larry King interview had to be THE FUNNIEST THING EVER on CNN!!! It truly became legendary when Liz was discussing how she was about to auction off some of her prized, exquisite, and quite expensive jewelry (I once read back in the early 90's that even though she was extremely wealthy, her net worth was held down a ton because of the enormous insurance she had to pay for her JEWELRY)...Liz is sitting there lovingly describing some of the valuable pieces that would be auctioned, and first Larry asks her how much the pieces would be going for. In the bat of an eyelash Liz turned cold and snapped that he would have to talk to the auction house about that, as if to say that she doesn't and would NEVER worry herself with such inane matters such as the PRICE of jewelry!!! But the icing on the cake was the next question...old Larry had the GALL to ask Liz if the jewelry was PASTE!!! The look of horror on her face is forever burned into my mind!!! She was speechless for a second before she yelped "WHHHHAAATTT?" PRICELESS!!!

• Members

Larry King is a hilarious and sometimes terrible interviewer/host. I remember when poor Sandra Dee died, and Larry spent the whole damn interview talking about Bobby Darren and how great the movie Beyond the Sea was. The only mention of Sandra was some depressed recluse well past her prime. Debbie Reynolds and James Darren were two of his guests and he kept asking them what they thought of Sandra and their memories of her and they would have to repeatedly remind him that neither of them had actually seen Sandra in 35 or 40 years.

• Members

However, if I like someone that does not mean I like all their performances and hype them up to high heavens as if everything they did is splendor. Joan did much sh!t in her days. :) I don't see why I should deny reality and say her Eva is a great performance. :)

Archived