Great Women of Soaps

• Members

I *will* say this though... oftentimes when I see a person smoking in a movie, I get the urge. But that's an issue of self-control. People used to say that to me all the time, "(SFK), you make a person want to smoke a cigarette" because I really did enjoy it (especially when drinking) and I guess the relaxation and exhilaration showed.

But then there are these...

blucigs.JPG

SmokeStik-Electronic-Cigarette-Family.jpg

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can see it, too. TV is truly a very influencing medium, and soaps have been especially known for that.

I guess it all boils down to writing something realistically. You can have the character act in ways that are in accordance to smoking for many years--occassional coughing, anxiousness over wanting to smoke if you haven't smoked for a while, lots of stuff like that--doesn't have to prevalent, or hit you over the head, just behavior that is incorporated in the script. Carrie Bradshaw was a great example of this. Seeing her smoke in Season 6 while in Paris and under great stress was a bigger turn-off to me than any anti-smoking ban FRIENDS ever had... because it showed the dependence, the psychological bond that I can, frankly, do without.

• Members

Yeah, totally. When Jonathan pulled out a cig on GL, I really think that was TP's idea. I know he smoked at the time at least, not sure if he still does. He probably thought it looked cool for the scene. And if I saw Tad or Rex or Nora smoking I wouldn't be too surprised because I figure they all smoke IRL and their characters could be closet smokers on the show. :lol: I wonder if it was Diahann Carroll's or the writers'/producers' idea to have Dominique smoke like Alexis. DC was obviously not a smoker, she smoked with none of the elan of Joan Collins.

• Members

Yeah, my friend's girlfriend would get Dreams which taste like vanilla. Never had a pink one though. I smoked Camel Lights before they changed the "recipe" and for a while there, they made these different flavor varieties that came in a tin. I would get the Mandarin orange. Was subtle, but pretty good. You could smell the orange more when unlit than you could actually taste it when smoking.

• Members

QUoting myself, but just to add to this:

When you say they used to say to you SFK, you make people want to smoke a cigarette, did they also say that because of the whole performance, so to speak, the whole ritual (lighting, holding, smoke figures...)?

• Members

Sylph, maybe you should order a carton of Fantasias and just display them on your coffee table with one of those huge old-school table lighters. :lol: I actually got that from an episode of Sanford and Son where Fred and Lamont go to move a piano from this chi-chi guy's West side condo and Fred mocks him for his super-long rainbow cigarettes he keeps in a glass container on his coffee table. :P

Sylph, you created this thread so hopefully you don't mind the tobacco-related jack. I'm trying to keep the "Stylish, Magnetic Businesswoman" angle. :lol:

• Members

I really don't know how to answer that question without sounding like an ass. Though I wasn't "acting" I suppose it was my "performance", the way I looked while smoking that people commented on. It's weird, I don't know exactly what I'm doing but people have said the same thing about the way I eat.

Archived