Great Women of Soaps

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's sad actually because I see her sadness in that role. Sadness that they keep asking her to do the same person all over again. And also I feel a certain tiredness, it's just there in her eyes. It depresses me. :( I love Joan. :)

• Members

What makes it even worse for her, I think, is that she genuinely enjoyed playing Alexis a lot, and she'll enjoy spoofing that role, but she just wishes people would ask her to do other stuff as well. I really can't blame her for it. If Flavor Flav had wanted her to appear on that god-awful sitcom he did for MyNetworkTV a few seasons back, she probably would have jumped at the chance to reach a different audience.

• Members

I'm halfway through it, and she really, really pulled this one off!

I do not believe at all that she is a limited actress: she can play sensual, vulnerable, bitchy, glamourous, she has a sense of comedy... I guess Joan is a classic case of the following: you know when you see someone pull something off so fanulously, you just expect better from then on but somehow the potential never gets realised. And she us not to blame, it's people who won't let Alexis take a vacation.

Precisely. :)

• Members

Off topic, but I used to watch that show EVERY Saturday! It was 3 or 4 pm, on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Obviously, my alphan friend, you watched it with more zeal! I personally liked the Season Two changes (esp. Maya the shape changer).

I'd be interested in seeing this show get a Trek/BSG/Doctor Who style reboot.

• Members

Oh, I didn't mean specific to Joan. But thanks for saying something nice and then qualifying it with the above statement. It's just, consistently, moaning and bitching and undercutting.

It's tiresome.

As well, don't cry for Joan, she's laughing all the way to the bank.

• Members

Oh my, MARK!!! you liked the second season? :blink: It went from a grand science fiction epic to a children's adventure show! (Gasp) I never saw it as a child, I got introduced to it at the age of 30, so the more adult first season is my great love. About 95% of all fans are first season fans. But another great diva who does a guest shot on this show is Rula Lenska, she's fabulous!

• Members

I don't think the failure is in Joan in those FW scenes, I think she did perfectly well with what she was given. But I see what you're after Sylph. When your image is archetypal and you're continuously cast as such, the quality of the writing will undoubtedly ebb and flow. I think that's why she's so much fun when she's spoofing her image (These Old Broads, Will & Grace, hell, even The Flintstones where she played the *younger* version of the Elizabeth Taylor role, Wilma's mother), opposed to when she's expected to recreate her Alexis magic just by throwing her in clothes and giving her bitchy one-liners (of dubious quality). Alexis was more than a character, she was an experience. Joan, the dialogue, the clothes (hats, furs, gloves), the hair, the champagne and caviar, the triplex penthouse, the office (the tusk desk!), the white Rolls, the cigarillos, the lhasa apso, I mean, this character had so many fabulous plates up in the air, it's impossible for her to give us any more than a *glimpse* of Alexis in these Special Guest Star roles, we are destined to be a little disappointed unless they play her against type or throw in some new and interesting slant.

• Members

Well, now, remember, I was 9 or 10, and haven't seen since, LOL. The movement toward action/adventure was very pleasing to me. In Canada, it was a hit, and ran through all two seasons. The Saturday broadcasts were followed by the Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner hour, and a few hours later, Hockey Night in Canada. So, you've got to put it in that perspective :).

I know it is on remastered DVD now, so I guess I should watch some again. A problem I have is getting these old school sci fi shows to keep my attention. I have a hard time looking past the SFX.

• Members

As far as Joan is concerned..

I adore her. She turned my life around the first time I saw her as Alexis and years later I understand why my parents wouldn't let me watch Dynasty as a child :D I always had the impression that she knows very well what people want from her; some glamourous, over the top, campy Alexis moments from time to time and she is fine with it. The material is not always perfect, but she is. Even if the role, or even the acting is not exactly what I want to see, I just love watching her. My Facebook friends and I share Joan Collins photos or videos all the time and some of my family members still blame her for a lot of things that went wrong with me :D Love, love, love Joan!

Archived