Proposed Soaps Over The Years

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

MTV's The Real World was originally designed as a soap entitled St Mark's Place.MTV backed out for budgetary reasons so Bunim/Murray (producers) reworked it,eliminating actor and writer fees. The cast were offered free room and board and a $1300 stipend.

• Members

In 1955,Mona Kent ,who was headwriter of Portia Faces Life was shopping a new show' Judge Me Not' to the networks and advertisers.. The show dealt with the heroine,an ad agency art director, marrying her boss after a long term affair. She now worries he will cheat on her,as he did with his first wife.Kent stated that execs were not responsive to this type of woman as the lead. Kent decried this as 'radio thinking' and that TV heroines had to be more believable.

The plan was to film the show at a studio in Jamaica for the same budget as a live US soap (around $10,000 a week). The plan was to have a week's worth of shows ready by April of that year and also to plot the show so that each episode could be re-edited into a weekly 1hr version for syndication.

In 57,CBS was reported to be close to acquiring rights to Mildred Pierce,the Joan Crawford 1945 movie,to retool as adaytime soap.

Also,CBS Films,the syndication arm of the network was preparing 'Always My Love' to sell to local markets.That was in 54.

1955- ABC proposes 'My True Story' as a15 min morning soap.

• Members

Carl,thanks for the feedback.I have collected stuff for years from all over and have never organized them!

After NBC cancelled her first TV soap 'These Are My Children'.Irna Phillips announced she was developing a new serial which had attracted sponsor interest ,thus proving there was interest in daytime soaps and NBC may have been hasty in cancelling.

The show was titled 'Challenge To Spring' and expected to air on CBS.

That never came to pass.An interesting title-I wonder if it had any elements that she incorporated in ATWT?

• Members

In the early 90s, Paramount was planning a syndicated wheel of 4 30-minute soaps, each soap airing in a telenovela format of 13 weeks sharing the same timeslot. Paramount's hope was to shoot each show on location in a different city/locale and to cut costs by pursuing co-production deals with international broadcasters and US station groups (Tribune, Group W and the NBC O&Os were said to have been approached in this regard). The plans sadly died off when they merged with Viacom some time later.

Archived