Proposed Soaps Over The Years

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jason 47 reports from Variety

September 30, 1964: Screen Gems, whose parent company, Columbia Pictures, is experienced-wise in the depiction and box-office exploitation of sex has developed two, not just one, evening soap opera serials (or "sexials" as some in the trade are now calling them). One is called "West Wind," centering on two large families in a small town who get intertwined in illustrious illicitness. The other bears the title "Days Of Our Lives," a "Peyton"-styled saga. Screen Gems is determined, if at all possible, to get at least one or preferably both of them riding the networks in an across-the-board evening exposure next year.

November 9, 1965: Macdonald Carey, whose across-the-board NBC daytimer "Days of Our Lives" bows this week, says if the series is successful, it'll shift to a three-a-week nighttimer.

• Members

From SOD Feb 24 1987

New Soap: Creative credit to a new soap goes to Stephen & Elinor & Jason Karpf.Stephen and Elinor created Capitol;Jason is their son. Their show,Salem's Children is said to be the most expensive and elaborate show of its genre. the serial,which was shot in Canada,will span several centuries and take place off the coast of Massachusetts. The plots will involve the struggle between a good family and a -not-so-good clan. High levels sources have compared the show to Dark Shadows. An air date has not been set.

As I posted earlier in the thread,the show was planned for syndication and I recall a double page spread in Variety promoting it,Janice Lynde was a part of the cast. Not enough stations were interested in it to get the go ahead.

• Members

"High level sources", ha.

I didn't think Capitol was considered to have a very good start, in terms of story. I'm surprised their creators got another show.

I wish this had made it to air. I would have liked seeing Janice Lynde in a better defined role than what she got on AW or OLTL.

I was reading a Feb 1976 soap magazine and they mention CBS saying their new Rosemary's Baby serial would be scarier than Dark Shadows. I was wondering if they just meant the TV movie made with Donna Mills that year, or if this was ever planned to be a soap.

• Members

An October 1984 SOD mentions the shows Charlene Keel and Ken Corday had come up with for Columbia Pictures Television - "Stolen Moments" a 30 minute afternoon soap, and "Fortune's Daughters," an hour show aimed at primetime. "Moments" would have been based on her twelfth novel, and may be ready by autumn 1985. Lovers lost then located, progenies of problematical parentage, etc. "Daughters" was about Alexander Fortune, a billionaire Seattle newspaper publisher with no heirs, who wanted to leave everything in one lump sum. He summons his three nieces to his office - probably one nice, one nasty, one nebbishy - and hires them as copy girls, to see which deserves his money. One year later the decision is made, unless he lives.

They also mention Rituals and how details were still being worked out, and how the serial was now just loosely based on the book. Also mentioned is that an East Coast soap was talking to Keel for story advice.

• Members

SOD March 14th 1995

A "Dynasty" in the Making.

Richard and Esther Shapiro,the creators of Dynasty and its spin-off The Colbys,are working on a primetime pilot for ABC tentatively called Malibu Branch.

Can we expect another glamorous over the top hour drama? "You know the way we function" Richard Shapiro laughs."it's serialized",he continues,"but it's not exactly like Dynasty.It's got more stuff in it." What kind of stuff? "it's got cops and crime," the secretive scribe reveals."It's a blending of genres-a soap and a police show".

Shapiro wouldn't confirm whether or not such Dynasty favorites as Joan Collins,who has publicly expressed interest in returning to primetime,or Linda Evans would pop up in the pilot of Malibu Branch; the casting process had just begun at press time. Nonetheless, Shapiro predicts that soap fans will love the show."I think it's a good project," Everybody's excited about it". Stay tuned for more.

• Members

A September 1978 Afternoon TV describes a soap I've never heard of, Gold Coast. There are also photos. That this got as far as photos and a pilot shocked me. I wonder why it fell through. Or did this make it to air?

AftTV978001.jpg

• Members

Another syndicated show that didn't find enough buyers.I wonder what timeslots they were hoping for? I always thought a late afternoon soap might work.

Manetta and DePriest had the pedigree and knowhow. The only actor I have heard of is Peter Burnell.who was Mike on The Doctors.

• Members

Sorry, I meant to include that this was in Afternoon TV.

I'd never heard of any syndicated soaps starting up around this time so like you said I wonder what they had in mind. I wonder if they thought they might become like Mary Hartman a few years earlier.

This was in an article which also talked about High Hopes. They had less info about that show, even though it was the one that actually made it to air.

I wonder if DePriest has ever talked about the show in interviews.

• Members

She was in negotiations/accused of holding out for more money (which she denied) and wasn't in the season six opener after everyone got shot up in Moldavia. It all worked out and she showed up in a nun's habit by episode two. In the final season, her episode count was cut for cost reasons and she stated that she wouldn't return for season 10 (the show was cancelled anyway, and Joan has said her imminent departure was why).

Archived