OLTL: Discussion for the week September 28

• Members

I agree. Oltl miss stepped with this one. If Blair were doing all of this just to destroy and hurt Todd the way he has hurt her in the past so many times before, with no underlying feelings of shacking up with him, then I could get into this storyline more. But for Blair now to be chasing after Todd after having come so far is just cheap. It feels like One Life is running into the same problem AMC had with Erica, IMO. Just when you thought the character had evolved and reached a new understanding, the next storyline would revert her back to her old shallow self.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly, it wasn't until Blair and Dorian finally bonded and Dorian saw a like mind in Blair (and later in Kelly) that being a "Cramer woman", and not just "Dorian Lord" became a badge of honor in Dorian's eyes. Dorian once said that there are two types of Cramer women, the fighters (Dorian, Blair, Kelly) and the feelers (Addie, Melinda, Cassie). Growing up with Addie, Melinda and their cuckoo mother, she'd always thought she was the only Cramer woman who had strength and a grip on reality until Blair and Kelly came along, then again they've lost their marbles a time or two as well.

• Members

I wouldn't mind seeing Cristian and Layla ride off into the sunset. I wish them well, but they're ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ City in my book. And without the prospect of Evangeline's return to really shake things up, I just predict more ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ for these two unless there's something I don't know about. And LOL at the way Layla always says the word "gay" with such venom!

• Members

Agreed. David Fumero can't act his way out of a paper sack. A print ad model who got lucky. They should have never brought him back after he left. Seriously, I don't get the point of his character. Especially today. DF is a seat filler and Cristian is a C-list character.

• Members

Tea/Todd/Blair, Kyle/Olivia, and Layla/Chris make my teeth hurt.

Blair and Ross will never get a real chance, but they are interesting. They have a nice chemistry. Michael Lowry has gotten more handsome with age.

I enjoyed the David/Nick/Vicki/Charlie scenes. I hope Tuc is lucky enough to be tapping the guy who plays Nick.

• Members

I don't mind Cristian. He isn't hogging the show, and he doesn't constantly abuse women and have this passed off as love. He isn't any worse than the men who suck up screentime 4-5 days a week. I like his relationship with Layla and I like that he has so much history in Llanview, even if it's not used all that often.

I like that the show can have sort of B-level characters who can add to the stories. That helps me get through the episodes, especially when the A characters are by and large failures these days (Todd, Tea, John, Rex, Gigi, Stacy).

He was a plot device. If he'd stayed around he wouldn't have been interesting.

The days of any soap character who gets a lead role being interesting are few and far between. I don't care for the earnesntness, but then when I think about what they might do to try to be "interesting", like have Fish rape Kyle and tell us it was his way of saying I love you, I realize it could be worse.

• Members
I found them far more compelling in the Kish story than I think I would have found them in a story about Evangeline. Just my opinion but they work well in the group with Fish and Kyle as opposed to the Rex, Gigi, Stacy and Kim gang where nothing seems to work. There's a different energy on the show when those four characters are on and I'm still so amazed that OLTL has so many diverse characters on the canvas. I don't want to lose any of them and I'm optimistic that we will actually conquer unchartered territory in daytime. I'd love to see them do a story where Rachel and Layla are caught up in a baby swap story. Has daytime ever had a baby swap story involving two black women? I can't remember a time when we had 2 black women in different stories let alone having a show with the ability to do something like that.

Also don't understand the need to push an Evangeline connection on Chris. I always thought Chris was more compatible with Layla than he ever was with Evangeline. I'm hoping when Evangeline returns she will come back to story with Todd, John, Tea, Rachel and Greg. Poor Greg-for me, he's the one with the stellar bad acting lately. The only time I've found his acting tolerable is around Rachel otherwise, I fear that he might go careening down the hallway again. TT is a trained actor with a daytime stint on his resume so I'm assuming he's receiving really bad direction.

The stalker stuff is boring me. This is a story that shouldn't be dragging along but it's all falling a little flat. I must admit that it just seems totally out of character that Jared would be even remotely involved though. It seems too much of a rewrite for it to be what RC had in mind all along.

Well, I didn't like the writing or directing or whatever it was today for as they confessed their love for each each other. Kyle is the one who was mooning over Oliver for the last 3 months and now he can't contemplate the possibility of rekindling their relationship? I was let down a bit even though it was clear at the end of the show that it's not over for Kyle.

Blair and Ross have uber chemistry but this week was some of the worst writing I've seen for Blair in a long time. They've got to move her away from Todd.

The B characters add that community feel to the show that was missing all this time. I like that Chris has history and they found a new way to use him in a story. Where they went wrong for me was when they tried to foist him into the A stories with Todd, Blair and Evangeline.

• Members

Back to the Cramer Women stuff. I never thought it was to copy AMC and the Kane Women. I thought it was to counteract OLTL's own Buchanan Men. The show was heavy on the Buchanan Men in the 80s with Asa, Clint, Bo, Cord and later in the 90s with Kevin, Joey and Drew. The show really didnt have large family of women until they expanded the Cramers in the 90s. The show had the 2 families mix and even pitted Dorian as head of the Cramer women against Asa as head of the Buchanan men and for years the families have been going back and forth. We havent gotten as many Buchanan men scenes since Asa died but Clint has picked up the slack as head of the family and does them every so often. The Cramers were the female equivalent of the Buchanans and thats where it all started. I doubt AMC and Erica Kane had anything to do with it

• Members

Yeah, he was a plot device, but he was an interesting one, and of course, this is all JMO, but I enjoyed watching him and his sister more than Luke or Noah. Whether or not I would have lost interest in him would have probably depended mostly on the story, and 9 times out of 10, the story wouldn't have been good at all, so yeah, he probably wouldn't have been so interesting if he'd stuck around. He would have either been watered down into a bland good-guy (a la Kyle) or he would have just been more evil than he was already revealed to be.

• Members

He was entertaining, at least at times, but the character was such a mess (was he gay, was he not, was that his sister or was that not his sister, since he made out with her), that I think he worked best in the short term. They seemed to have no idea what to do with him.

But ATWT is finally starting to write some of their younger men with more layers, so, perhaps he will return someday?

I really like this clip with Marty and Viki from 1993. Jessica when she had a personality. And the layers and warmth and pain in the moments between Marty and Viki. Marty is so bland and so pointless now.

Archived