Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I did read all of those but then what plays out on screen seems inconsistent. In her last scenes, Hope isn't drinking and seems strong with Alan - but is then off. I can see maybe the actress was fired but seems odd actress would have had issues with the story. Same with Mike. Why would he be unhappy being paired with a powerhouse actress unless he really wanted a younger pairing? And if the show did want him off why plant the seeds of a storyline with Mike? Just makes me think there was more to it ...

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Stewart was fired by Gail Kobe. Depending on what story you hear, Kobe fired him when Stewart was playing a golf game while on vacation. How true that story is, I've never been sure. As to why he was let go...it appeared that Stewart was resisting the Mike/Alexandra/Lilian triangle. I have no idea why. Pam Long did want to write for Mike, and she finally must have found a story she was satisfied with, as Mike didn't really have a strong storyline for quite awhile. Mike was more of the peripheral character at that point (when someone needed legal help or advice).

I have a feeling if the Mike/Alexandra/Lillian triangle would have continued to develop, there would have been ramifications between Beth and Lujack's relationship as well.

• Members

So Vanessa and Justin had sex? I never knew that. She sure got around in those early years. I guess she did it to get to Ross, but Justin's so hot, I'm glad someone realized it.

I guess Marland was using Floyd, along with the Reardons, to establish a class system in Springfield, but Floyd just comes across as a sour jerk in moments like that - not really anything like he was in the earlier episodes.

I had forgotten that Elizabeth didn't know that Jackie and Justin were Philip's bio parents at this point. The whole thing confuses me. In one of the April 1979 episodes posted, during Philip's 123th illness (I guess this one was his 456th), it seemed like Justin knew Jackie was the bio mother. When did he learn he was the father?

It's a shame Nola and Morgan couldn't be actual friends. I think they work well together. 

• Members

Guiding Light was Kevin's first job after filming Friday the 13th, though the movie was released after he began on the soap.

I could not agree more about the disastrous miscasting of Jackie. Carrie Mowery would have been a far better casting choice to replace Lezlie Dalton as the listless, almost somnambulant Elizabeth. Potter and Marland made far too many mistakes in casting and story decisions, mistakes that undermined the solid foundation laid by the Dobsons. The Dobsons had created and nutured highly complex interactions between Ed/Rita/Holly/Mike/Elizabeth/Alan/Jackie/Justin and Hope. The decision to ignore Maureen Garrett and Lenore Kasdorf's wishes while essentially changing Jackie into Elizabeth, resulted in a collapse of the foundation and relegated front-burner Mike and Ed to the sidelines.

• Members

What were Lenore's wishes?

I've always been so confused by Lezlie Dalton's status on the show at this point. I thought she wanted to leave, but she is phased in and out so many different times in 1980, it's tough for me to tell.