Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Question: Was Ed's house [on this episode above] the same house we'd see in later years of the show? Or did he move into his mother's house after her death? This always boggled my mind. And if Ed's house was the official Bauer home in later years, why did they never make reference [like in the episode above] that Alan was their next door neighbor?

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That was always Ed's house. When Mo and Ed broke up when he was mooning over Holly she said something like.."This was never my house, it was always the house Ed lived in with his WIVES." which is weird as that kitchen later never lost its association with Mo.

• Members

Ed moved into the house on the hill, by the Spauldings and the Lakeland Country Club, while married to Rita. Before that, he lived in much less posh surroundings. Bert only moved into the house years later when she was in the wheelchair, so it wasn't ever really Bert's home...

• Members

That's exactly how I felt about Kreizman's writing. There were some good ideas. Even brilliant ones that could have turned the ship around, but absolutely zilch in the way of execution. Some of it wasn't their fault (Laura Wright leaving) and some of it was (Not securing Peter Simon BEFORE writing a story arc on Roger's death and then being gobsmacked when he turned them down and then writing a really poor tribute to Zaz).

Talking about Laura Wright in the later years of GL, I've always wondered how much better the Reva/Cassie/Josh triangle would have been with her in the role. I never really liked Cassie, but LW was the actor with the history and the rapport with Reva. NF was not only a different character, but lacked any of the context that would have made the story work.

• Members

To me, the problem lay with the casting of NF, who seemed "nice" enough, but who also could be bland and forgettable. Cassie was just too important to the show at that point to be recast with someone whose prior claim to fame was an appearance in an Olive Garden commercial.

• Members

I'm watching an episode from June 1984. Very odd to see old characters I didn't realize overlapped with what became more my GL (Phillip Beth etc). Seems clear something was in the works with mike Bauer and Alexandra. So what really happened with mike and hope? Were the actors fired or did the quit? I can't really believe Pam long wanted mike off because clearly something is being set up with mike and Alex it seems - and my understanding is Beverlee McKinsey coming on was a casting coup so odd don Stewart would have been angry about a pairing. So what's the real story on what happened with the Bauers?