Paul Raven

Guiding Light discussion thread

5 hours ago, MichaelGL said:

^I agree, and then they introduced Jeffrey. 

Gag. Retch. Hurl. Vomit.

San Cristocrap and everything/everyone even slightly associated with it, really dimmed the Light.

4 hours ago, victoria foxton said:

I love the care put into them. I would love to see bio's on other soap characters too. Congrats on the approval  of your research paper.  giphy.gif

Hey thanks!!  it's not a completely done deal yet, I still have the whole defense/presentation bit in two weeks (20 minute presentation/lecture followed by an *hour* of question and answers with the three chosen profs--one of whom I know will constantly bring the question back to why I'm even talking about soaps, but I'll be prepared...)

And yeah--I have huge holes in my GL knowledge and so when I am curious about a character, going to those videos is better than any write-up I've found.

5 hours ago, Costello said:

Haha!

I used to be so disappointed on the days they didn’t show the cast photos in the closing credits. Like crestfallen.

Was it every Friday they'd show them? Or every other Friday? I can't remember. I remember I'd watch the photos and name off who I liked and who I couldn't stand. And sometimes I'd notice how old some were compared to others (I think Maureen Garrett or Jerry ver Dorn had the same one for all the years they did the crawl). I always remember how gorgeous the shot of Vince Williams was. That shot represents so much of what made the GL of that era special.

6 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Was it every Friday they'd show them? Or every other Friday? I can't remember. I remember I'd watch the photos and name off who I liked and who I couldn't stand. And sometimes I'd notice how old some were compared to others (I think Maureen Garrett or Jerry ver Dorn had the same one for all the years they did the crawl). I always remember how gorgeous the shot of Vince Williams was. That shot represents so much of what made the GL of that era special.

14 minutes ago, kalbir said:

Today (Dec. 6) marks 20 years since Michael Zaslow passed away. RIP.

Speaking of Zaslow, I loved the shot of him at the end of the credits. It felt wrong when Zimmer was added in at the end (and I’m not a Reva hater).

Vince Williams’s shot with the sax was also a favorite.

Edited by Costello

23 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

I found some Roxie....love me some Roxie....first time in a long time I was able to find some video episodes on her...

bandstandsmike's  channel has been uploading a lot of 1984-88. A lot of it features Roxie. 

Edited by victoria foxton

59 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

I noticed there was a different Johnny. Is it the same Johnny Bauer later played by James M. Goodwin? The first Johnny is rather blah....LOL

Totally different character. That was Johnny "Dub" Taylor. The actor was Marko Maglich.

2 minutes ago, robbwolff said:

Totally different character. That was Johnny "Dub" Taylor. The actor was Marko Maglich.

Ah thanks for the clarification. I never recalled anyone else but James playing Johnny Bauer. I thought I was losing my mind...LOL

My god watching that Richard bio reminded me how bad all that San Cristobel crap was. Just laughable. Were viewers meant to care who ruled a country no one they cared about lived in? Personally I barely care when characters run for mayor on soaps. I can't imagine caring about some unknown monarchy in some Caribbean island (full of white people).

San Cristobel was embarrassing at the time and worse now. Tacky, poorly lit blonde people screaming on a fake island that had NOTHING to do with that show and turned me off seriously watching it for years.

6 minutes ago, Vee said:

San Cristobel was embarrassing at the time and worse now. Tacky, poorly lit blonde people screaming on a fake island that had NOTHING to do with that show and turned me off seriously watching it for years.

Same. It felt like GL had been cancelled and rebooted as something barely recognizable. 

I was a young viewer at the time with no background at CBS - I had come up with OLTL, GH and AMC as relatively grounded and mostly solid soaps for much of the '90s. The shitty Rauch lighting, tacky blondes, middle aged screaming people and fake kingdom drove me away. ATWT wasn't much better at the time.