Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I always got the sense that the Beacon Hotel was separate from the lighthouse. The hotel started off as being abandoned until Cassie or someone wanted to restore it. The Beacon was located near the lighthouse or across from it. 

Folks are going to either find the 2002 opening horrible or just be ambivalent to it lol I just remember being excited that the show was finally updating it's opening credits, because almost every other soap was doing the same, most notably its lead-in ATWT which was looking better and being produced better than its sister soap. I rank it better than any of the following opening sequences the show would have after it was replaced, including that Ellen Wheeler talk show theme one that showed clips of the show and publicity stills. 

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

IIRC, Michelle wanted to convert the lighthouse into some sort of nightclub at some point.  And she (or whoever) was gonna call it "Light," or some nonsense, too.

The concept behind Conboy's opening wasn't wrong, but the music and production values for it were.  But, then again, CAPITOL's opening sequences were pretty underwhelming, too.

Ah, yes.  I still remember several people online calling it The Maureen Garrett Memorial Baseball Field.

Agree.

• Members

If I had been in charge, I think I would have burned down Company (it was time) and had someone - perhaps Bridget and/or Nola - convert the lighthouse into an independent bookstore/cafe/performance space.  They could have even CALLED it Lighthouse Books.

• Members

Personally I liked the 2002 visuals despite people complaining at the time it looked like life savers lol but do think a simple refresh of HOTL music was all that was needed.  The 2002 ATWT music was good but the ugly gold was awful to look until they switched to blue but it lacked a globe in space opening ehh. 

• Members

Actually, they explained that it was an old hotel that they rehabbed, to not really attached but close, which made sense that it could be a summer hotel...as the lake could have been atttached to Lake Michigan (which makes me again say Springfield should have been in Michigan not Illinois..as Illinois has about two lighthouses and Springfield would have to a north shore suburb with their yachts and things and it never seemed like that...

I know, but I am saying the rando light house they had Cassie and Reva at made them look like they were coming out of the woods...lost (and hadn't Reva lived in Springfield long enough I wanted her to pick up something pink "Oh, there's mah panties I lost in 1985!!! Was it Joshua, or Kyle, or that crazy guy Cane????") 

Carrying on SF real estate...I wished Rick would have moved to lighthouse (after divorcing boring Mel) and let Ross and Blake move into the Bauer house and they could have become the new tentpoles...(R.I.P. JVD!)

• Members

Agreed.  I think new characters are necessary and important to keep the canvas of the show dynamic.  But it felt like Guiding Light had so many characters at the end (aside from a core group and returning favorites) without ties to core families.

Yes, exactly.  I liked her too but I think that's why the early 90's worked so well when she left.  The show was an ensemble and a lot different characters/actors were featured.

Compete with Skinamax!  haha.  That tells you a lot right there how the network execs weren't interesting in building/retaining their fan base.  

True, it got pretty dark at times under JFP.  And the Frank/Marion story didn't help.  They did lose a lot in those recasts of key players.  I thought Buzz worked at the beginning as a foil but definitely not for the long term.  Still can't understand why or how there was so much emphasis on the Coopers.

That makes sense.  Glad she brought back Vanessa and Matt.  I wondered if they chose not to put Kinkead back on contract or she didn't want to work that much.  And yes, two characters that weren't ever brought back to their full potential were Alan-Michael and Mindy (Kimberley Simms).  And they should've never let Ross go (RIP JVD).

Thank you, @Khan!

• Members

I've always thought that this was an error in judgment. They moved a number of people from contract to recurring at that time, obvious it was crunch time yet again over money. But, I'm sure they thought they'd still have them because what were the odds that they'd land a new job in that market?! Well, guess what? OLTL just happened to be desperate for a new Clint and bless Jerry's heart he was incredibly versatile. Our loss.

Thank you. It's late but I finally understand The Beacon.

They didn't even say a state name for AW until the early '80s!