Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Most of them didn't seem to want to go. Some of the firings, like Tom O'Rourke, will forever puzzle me. It's as if someone at P&G saw a greenlight to plow through the cast for shiny new objects...not having the common sense to see that most of these objects would not stay long-term and that many fans would not support or accept these choices. GL was very lucky to stay on the air. 

I will never get past how eerie it is to see Jerry ver Dorn doing the goodbye for Charita Bauer. The man had been on the show for 5 years yet he was the senior cast member! Insane. And if viewers, and presumably cast and crew, had not taken Jerry into their hearts so quickly, he likely would have been gone too. 

You’re right - you control your keyboard. Glad you’re not letting anyone control it for you even though some will try. 

My records show Millette Alexander’s last episode as 12/24/82 and Geraldine Court’s last episode as 2/4/83. Mike Bauer was in the opening you referenced above. He didn’t leave until 1984. 

Edited by VanessaReardon

• Members

What stories were left to tell with Sara?  All I could have seen her contribute in 1983 and thereafter was as the resident therapist.  She probably would have counseled Beth after the rape, and Reva plus roxie...but what else was left to tell of Sara?

• Members

According to this newspaper article dated January 15, 1983 Millette Alexander decided to leave the show of her own accord.  Interesting that Giancarlo Esposito (currently Moff Gideon on The Mandalorian) was cast on the show at the time as Clay Tynan and that Micki Grant who played John Randolph's secretary Peggy Nolan for much of the 60s and early 70s on Another World was playing his mother Ms. Tynan.  Was GL planning on making the Tynans a new African-American family on GL and they got lost in the shuffle in the change of headwriters?  

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Sara remained on the show through Pat Falken Smith's excellent-but-brief tenure as head writer in 1982, and was written out by subsequent scribes during the cast massacre of the early 1980s.

Most of the vets were fired and did not leave voluntarily. Peter Simon (Ed) recalled that on his final day of taping, Tom O'Rourke (Justin) ranted and raved his entire way out of the building.

• Members

I still find it hard to believe that both Mike and Hope Bauer were written off the show around 1984, and none of the subsequent writers thought it might be a good idea to bring either of them back to town.  The Bauers were such an interesting flawed core-family, surely they would have been wonderful to write for.  They weren't perfect like the Hughes or the Matthews.   

Edited by Neil Johnson