Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

What year was this? I think it may have been from the time Ross was running for mayor, senate or something and Alan was trying to stop him. Obviously the woman is a prostitute but I remember Alan putting drugs in Ross car not that..anyone else?

• Members

I wonder what the average fan at the time felt about Anna Stuart's Vanessa. Maybe they just said, "Oh that stupid Vanessa," as most of the characters did. Personally, I have a blast watching her, especially since she isn't just imitating Maeve (Maeve veered between fragile and I'll-cut-you-bitch). Springfield at this time was so uber-sincere it needs all the flies in the ointment possible.

I'm enjoying everything with Alan and family on the run. Instead of a lot of scenes of characters talking about whether he's changed, we see that Alan hasn't changed entirely (he still doesn't want to face the law), but he's changed to a degree (letting Hope and A-M return to Springfield). Chris Bernau brings a lot of depth to Alan's internal crises, and Don Stewart plays the voice of law and order and family. You can also see the love between Hope and Alan here, whereas by 1982 they started seeming bored to me.

Morgan and Kelly - I'm torn between cringing and yawning at all that coddling and all that righteous anger. It just feels silly seeing all this drama over a birthday and seeing people baby Morgan. And that cruise ship singing of his isn't for me.

I wonder if they had any plans to pair Quint and Nola at this time or if that came later. I guess maybe they were just gradually weaning Nola away from the Morgan/Kelly story? I can't tell. Either way, I enjoy getting a look at this early, extremely weird Quint, and Nola doing her best, for whatever reason, to make him think Kelly was her baby daddy. Yet they also gave Nola that strong moment where she's reduced to tears over Floyd's song - likely because of shame at how many times she has used him. Denise Pence also did well there, as Katie feels a combination of pride and sorrow for her brother.

Amanda's fashions are so dowdy in so many ways. I swear she sewed together every inn table cover in Lucille's mansion.

If I never have to hear Tony telling people he's not like his sister ever again, it will be too soon. This group (Tony, Hilary, often Katie) are written so sanctimoniously that they just feel like a drain.

We didn't see this part of The Hideout very often did we?

Edited by DRW50