OLTL: Discussion for the week September 7

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry if this is off topic, but since there is no show today...

Can anyone tell me how Mari Lynn Dennison exited the show?

And what happened to the character Ron Eldard played? Did he ever have any stories? I saw some clips of him when he had broken out of prison and was protecting Mari Lynn. Then another where he was at the start of a romance with Gabrielle's sister, the ballet dancer.

• Members

It was a good episode. I liked the heartless mob violence that GH never shows and that the cops are the good guys. I enjoyed John arresting the mayor and Todd getting beat up. The Russian mobster would have killed Todd in real life. Starr could have hit the guy with a vase or something. Shaun should have shot all of them without the ultimamums. Poor guy.

I enjoyed Dorian and Vicki tangling with David throwing in his snide comments. I cracked up when he recited Vicki's married names. I loved his following lines: "I'm so bored, I am getting seasick." "Hey, that's my pa you're talking about." "What is he doing here? Who cares, I need a new character." Hilarious!

Greg and Rachel were interesting. I can't get over how beautiful Rachel is.

The only thing that I did not like much was Nora and Tea .

• Members

Some nice direction and camerawork in the Rachel/Greg scenes. Why can OLTL make their outdoor stuff look (and sound) so good when GL's stuff sucked so bad? I'm glad they're wrapping up this drug story, it's gone on long enough (and they're ending it pretty well). I don't think Shaun dies; I assume Rachel will feel she can't abandon him when he is suffering from his injuries so that will keep her apart from Greg. Yes, Daphne Duplaix (Rachel) is absolutely gorgeous -- even better looking outdoors in natural light than she is in the studio.

• Members

OLTL is doing a good job with its outdoor scenes. There was a lot of movement in the Rachel/Greg scenes. It must have been choreographed because the camera followed them seamlessly.

Yesterday was the first time I found Rachel and Greg interesting. Instead of the stupid ego baiting, Greg came across like a man who was apologetic, accepting of Rachel's past and interested in getting to know her better. For the first time, I could understand why Rachel could like Greg, he seems like a good man. It is now feeling like a real romance.

• Members

The Greg/Rachel story went from "well, OK" to excellent for me last week because they were able to really flesh out and articulate these two characters, in a way that so few soaps bother to do today with their "black stories," even on, sadly, Maria Bell's Y&R. Rachel's character, the neuroses she's living with, are deeply etched to her long history on the show, and the stellar writing that revealed it. Greg is no longer just an arrogant ass because the truth about Rachel disarmed him; instead, he sheepishly admitted to playing a game and getting in over his head. It's a raw, honest portrayal of two people the likes of which is rarely afforded to any character on daytime right now, let alone those of color. On any other soap, I sadly feel the Rachel and Greg story would not be taken seriously or explored in-depth the way it has been because "it's just the black story." It's stuff like this, that kind of commitment, that keeps me coming back to OLTL even as some stories are good and some are truly awful.

I'll add that this is why Rachel has staying power whereas the Williamsons struggled at best; they never bothered giving Evangeline any deeper shadings or facets, and Layla's only getting some now, through a story in which she plays a supporting role.

I'll also compliment the guy playing Sergei. He really does come off like a mad dog. I thought he was going to start cursing at Lowell last week during their meeting. I don't want the show to turn into GH, but if they really wanted to highlight that difference, they could've extended this character awhile to play off the cops.

• Members

I agree about those Greg/Rachel scenes being unique on the soaps. Those were the scenes that I always wanted Robin and Patrick from GH to have, but they never happened. RC took Greg from an arrogant flirting doctor to an interesting likable man in those scenes with Rachel. He really saw her pain and hurt and showed his appreciation that she survived her past. If we get more of those scenes, I could really fall in love with them as a couple. I like Shaun, but the drama and romance is between Greg and Rachel. I like that Shaun's shooting will keep them apart awhile longer. It is too soon for them to fall into each other's arms.

I think Rachel has had staying power because she is Nora's daughter and Matt's sister. It is no small thing being related to the Buchanans on OLTL. It matters that characters have a familial tie to the canvas, especially black characters. Writers never invest in black families which is why they are so easy to write out without leaving a mark on the show.

• Members
Correct me if I'm wrong but Rachel is actually one of the few black adult female characters that tptb have recast multiple times. In comparing her character to other underdeveloped black characters on soaps one of the key differentiators that I see is the commitment from the network in the character. Most soaps write the black characters off and never fully integrate them into the canvass making it nearly impossible for an actress or actor to be lucky enough to survive more than one contract cycle. Rachel's connections to key characters not only elevates her character's potential but fuels her longevity. I'll also add that even though Layla is only playing a supporting role in the gay story, her addition to it gave her character self-direction and development that a lot of other black characters never receive. I didn't get a chance to comment but Tika's performance was impressive and I think Layla functions well as a supporting character positioned in B and C stories while Rachel's character is properly positioned because of her history and connections to develop into a leading role in an A story. The show stands poised to have 2 vastly different black women on the show involved in two separate stories that are very well-written. It's very unusual. Vee is correct to point it out. I wish the general fans would appreciate what OLTL is offering in relation to its minority cast. Even Greg's character is now well-layered and I think he has great future potential. I like Shaun but Greg is the character that I can see going the full distance if developed properly. The side romance of Matt and Destiny doesn't hurt either.

I could have done without Nora and Tea yesterday. I get it. Tea has a child out there somewhere.

The real heart of the show yesterday for me was the set-up of Viki and Dorian in the Mayoral contest. I can't comment enough about the sheer potential brilliance of this story. We will have these two powerhouse characters engaging in a career-oriented conflict that taps into years of their historical rival. Are you kidding me? The sky is the limit with this story. I love the way it potentially pulls all of the major players into the story like Jared, Natalie, Jessica and Brody who are all wrapped up in the mystery of this stalker.

I only have two problems with this show. Stacy and Kim. Why are they wasting time with this story? Rex and Gigi are still salveagble if they cut their losses now but if they insist on developing Stacy and Kim, I think Rex and Gigi's potential will become irrevocably damaged. <_< And Starr and Cole. Usually a baby and a love story marks the end of a couple and perhaps I have blinders on but where exactly are they going to go with them? The more time they invest in this couple, the more I realize that there doesn't appear to be much of a future for them.

Everything else is really working for me. Even David's return seems more character-driven this time around and less plot-oriented.

• Members

It's been a long time since I have run home from work to catch a show, but Greg and Rachel had me waiting for Soapnet to air the show last night. I am loving OLTL right now. If I never see Girexy again, it would be too soon. Layla and Cristian are not needed either. The doctor with Greg would be a good replacement because she wants Greg and Greg wants Rachel. That makes for a good quad.

Gosh, I am so twisted because I wanted to see Sergei pistol whip Starr. Is that bad?

ANDREA

Archived