Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I wanted to write a little about the two women's lib storylines that were running back in the 70s. Some people did not like this. The early part of this thread includes a negative review by "Deborah Channel," and I seem to recall that another magazine criticized SFT for running two women's lib plots at the same time.

It seemed clear to me at the time that this was deliberate, for reasons we would automatically recognize in a novel or play or movie: the two plots were intended as a contrast. The younger couple, Scott (Peter Simon) and Kathy (Courtney Sherman), were able to work out the new balance in their relationship, whereas the older couple, Doug (Ken Harvey) and Eunice (Ann Williams) had more serious problems as Doug did not want to accept that his wife needed to work, too. It made sense that a middle-aged man might have more problems than a younger man in accepting newer roles for women. This plot was used to break up Doug and Eunice, especially as Eunice was working with John Wyatt (Val Dufour), who found her attractive.

It's possible that not all of the audience accepted this as readily as I did, because the writers then paralyzed Doug before turning him into a vegetable and having him subject to a mercy killing, which was then changed after the fact to a murder plot so they could make changes to Morgan Fairchild's storyline. 

I'm trying to remember if Ken Harvey believed that his union activity was a factor in Doug's being killed off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What an amazing find, Victoria!!! Thanks for posting this. I've been watching some of the videos and found something unusual. According to the closing credits, someone by the name of Jackson Chase was head writer of Search for Tomorrow in December 1981. (The video says it's from 1982 but in the comments people are saying it was likely 1981). Hasn't ever heard of Jackson Chase? So this would be after Don Chastain's stint.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Another trader once sent me an entire slew of SFT eps (maybe 16, IIRC) from 1966. They were excellent. But material from the 1970s is even more difficult to find. Even if this Youtube channel only shared brief clips of all the Mary Stuart eps from way back then, it's wonderful to know that the full-length episodes probably still exist in the uploader's collection.

• Members

Boy do those clips bring back memories. I caught glimpses of the first two adult Lizas - Meg Bennett and Hope Busby - in the Christmas videos. I also saw Peter Simon as Scott (he was surprisingly handsome in his younger years), beautiful Courtney Sherman as Kathy, and Millee Taggart - later a writer - as Liza’s way-too-young mother Janet.

• Members

So cool to see Jo's kitchen.

The 60's b&w with Marge and the color 70's with Melissa show the same kitchen with some changes in layout.

Guess Jo decided to update at some point.

I wonder if the changes were made when they went to color. Was that 68?

Jo was married to Tony in the Melissa scenes, so he must have moved into her house.

Did she stay there until she and Stu moved to Hartford House?

The first meeting of Sam and Jo. This must have been 65? I think Arthur died in 66.

In the Xmas credits of 77 you can see Hope Busby as Liza and Meredith Orr as Tina. Never seen before.

• Members

Before CBS cancelled "Search for Tomorrow," it was announced that John Burnett and Millee Taggart were going to be heading the writing team in November 1981. Next month, it was announced that the show was moving to NBC and that Ellis and Hunt would be the headwriters. Jackson Chase is probably one of the two of them. 

• Members

Wow, this is certainly a surprise. Mary Stuart is amazing as Jo, so calming in the scenes with Linda Bove, tragic in Tony's death scenes. Awesome to have this in such nice quality. 

Was SEARCH known for  good production values? I was pretty impressed, especially the hospital scenes with Tony's death. 

I also have to say the writing and performances for Tony's apology to Jo was so mature and the 6 minutes only felt like 2.