Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

Thanks for clarifying. I think I might have confused things. There was a typewriter involved as Liza, post-cave sex, brought a typewriter to Hogan as a gift. I'm thinking I might be confusing Liza/Hogan with Kentucky/Liza. I think the opening episodes on AOL had Kentucky in Liza in the woods after a plane crash or maybe they were just stranded in the woods.

The cave scenes were good. I believe some are on youtube labelled 5/13/85 or something around there.

Regarding Stephanie and Estelle, there is a scene between the two of them on youtube. Stephanie stops by Estelle's hotel suite around Christmas time to invite her to the Women to Watch fashion show. I believe this is where Stephanie was murdered. Anyway, there is a nice exchange between Estelle and Stephanie regarding Martin Tourneur. I had forgotten both women had been involved with him.

What were others feelings regarding Aniston's Martin? When I read about his relationship with Jo in soap books, I didn't understand how the pairing could possibly work. When I saw the episodes on AOL, Martin and Jo were sharing scenes during Martin's brief return in 1984. I thought Aniston and Stuart shared strong chemistry and could see why it would work. Martin might have been a screw up, but he had a heart and cared for the ones he loved. I could see how a doomed romance between them must have been engaging to see play out.

When were Kathy Phillips and Tom Bergman involved? I remember reading weekly summaries from the NBC period and they were a couple, but based on the summaries it sounded like it was a C-story. Kathy was later involved in Sunny's rape trial.

In 1973, Mary K. Wells would have been playing Hannah Cord on "Return to Peyton Place." I think its a misprint.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you, dc. That makes sense, about the misprint.

I was going to ask, this might have already been talked about and I've forgotten, but how long was Jo involved with Greg Hartford? I have an interview with him where the actor talks about being on Our Miss Brooks and then later in life he had basically given up acting to go into real estate, but SFT brought him back and he was happy and wanted to be there for a long time. Apparently that did not happen.

I'll try to put the article up later.

• Members

I have the first few months (maybe 2 or 3) of SFT from the AOL airings and also about 10 episodes from the flood. I got bored and am re-watching it. It kinda sucks because I didn't keep up with the AOL airings so I missed out on so much and the show was *so* good.

I've only seen one episode with Maree Cheetham as Stephanie who seemed fab, but Louise Shaffer isn't written anything like that so I don't blame her for any change. I do think she's doing a good job, but she doesn't have much to work with. I pretty much see her at this tv station fretting over this lame show and occasionally fretting over her daughter. For those who watched the show, did Shaffer ever have a storyline when she was on the show? Was her death pretty much it?

One character I missed completely was Patty's daughter Sarah. I had stopped watching by then and was so upset to learn they killed her off. She's a young, viable legacy character and that's who you decide to kill off for a lame serial killer story? And to do it when her mother isn't even on the show! Who was writing the show? That's one of the most boneheaded moves ever. I'm sure that impacted Patty's return as well. How can you justify her not returning to town then? The whole thing with Patty confuses me. Why did it take so long to bring her back? They seemed to have such trouble casting that role.

• Members

It's not surprising Louise Shaffer's Stephanie bore more than a passing resemblance her old RYAN'S HOPE character, Rae Woodard. Not only had Ellen Barrett produced both shows, but, Michael Corbett, who'd played her on-screen daughter, Kimberly's, lover on RH, played an almost exact replica of that character on SEARCH!

I've wondered that myself, Chris -- and even when they did bring her back, I don't think I would've accepted Jacqueline Schulz in the role had I seen any of the earlier Pattis.

IIRC, Patti and her then-husband, Len Whiting, left Henderson, b/c Len was sentenced to some Appalachian prison work farm for a crime he had committed. (This was before my time, so forgive me if I don't have the exact details correct.) Was it just one of those situations where TPTB meant to bring back Patti at some point, but never really got around to it until it was almost too late? Was it b/c they never found quite the right actress, as you've said? Were they afraid they had burned through a lot of story with her and didn't want to repeat themselves? Or did they simply feel that bringing back Patti would have kept Jo in the spotlight, when they were clearly intent on turning SEARCH FOR TOMORROW from a star-driven soap into a more ensemble-driven one?

Edited by Khan

• Members

I wish we could see all the Pattis. It would make a good Youtube clip. I think at one time, everyone from Nancy Pinkerton to Tina Sloan played her. Mary Stuart once said that the Patti who had just been fired was a short redhead and the next was a tall blonde, and the first line Jo had for the new Patti was, "Is that you dear?" or something like that. Mary thought it was ludicrous and tried to get them to change the line, but no go.

• Members

That could be it, but they used a character like Suzi as a Patti substitute. I just watched a couple of the flood episodes and Schultz just doesn't seem like Patty lol. I think all the episodes I have (some from the 50s, others from 1966) all contain Lynn Loring, the original Patty. Looking at her around 18-19 in 1966, shouldn't she also have been older by the time she returned? The entire thing is just so odd lol.

Watching the flood (which was VERY impressive), I was wondering if any soap could pull that off today. I think Passions may have done a flood at one point, but it just seems like it would be so difficult. Does anyone know if anyone died during the flood?

• Members

Lynn Loring departed in 61, so the Patti appearing in 66 was probably Melissa Murphy.

Don't know why there were so many Patti's during the 60's.

Lynn Loring would have been a hard act to follow,so Nancy Pinkerton ,her replacement had big shoes to fill. The next Patti,Abigail Kellogg,lasted 3 years and maybe left at the end of her contract in 64.

Patrica Harty was next for about a year,then Gretchen Walther stepped in in 65.melissa Murphy was next(65-660 then Trish Van Devere in 67.Melinda Plank lasted about 2 years.She later used the name Melinda Cordell and was on Y&R and GH in the 80's.

i have read that some of these actresses were only on for a few days or weeks.

Leigh Lassen the stayed for 6 years until Len and Patti were written out. Tina Sloan came on for a few months and Patti was sent off again.Sloan had been popular on Somerset,so maybe it was a change of writers that had Patti leave so soon.

Then the writers had Sarah turn up,a never bewfore mentioned daughter while Patti's 2 established children,Chris and Tracey were ignored.Then when patti finally returned,her children were nowhere to be seen.

To the show's credit they kept Patti as a major character for over 20 years,Other shows sent children out of town,banished forever, eg Alan and Barbara LOL

• 4 weeks later...