Y&R: Episode Discussion for the week of August 3rd

• Members

No Latham and no Broderick.....

Not too fast pacing, and not to slow. I hate skipping important beats and not following up on cliffhangers like Maria and her henchmen do. Seriously, I think they must think of Y&R as some anti-soap.

But these hacks (Maria and her henchmen and Pissy) all need to go. No need comparing who is worse, because they all suck on their merits.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, Monday's episode is a new day already in Genoa City. :rolleyes:

This is typical of Maria and her henchmen, they think they're writing for primetime, not a longstanding daytime soap. It's one of the biggest reasons why they all need to be fired and how their laziness, and their cliched and horrendously paced storytelling is wrecking Y&R.

• Members

Don't worry, Prince Omar picked Nikki up off the side of the road and is nursing her back to health in Morocco. There is no follow up but wouldn't someone have noticed Nikki lying by the side of the road if Ashley ran her over?

• Members

Broderick liked to do stories about psychos running rampant over town. She did this on every one of her soaps that I watched in the 90s and early 00s. Probably the worst was OLTL, with the disgusting and sadistic return of Mitch Laurence (which just got even worse with Malone), but she also had Reid dominating the canvas 4-5 days a week on ATWT for a year. She'd love the psycho stories on Y&R. However, I think she'd do them better. Y&R uses psychos as plot devices but they don't know how to write for them. Who are Adam and MJ? What are their motives? It gets to a point where you can't just use, "They're crazy, they aren't rational!" as an excuse.

I think Y&R is better if you have no expectations. People said the Adam/Rafe story would put ATWT to shame, show them how it was done. Instead it was one of the most gutless gay stories I've ever seen on TV, and completely pointless. If people had had no expectations, they may have been less annoyed.

• Members

Still a few days behind, but Wednesday was fantastic.

What an awesome show with Nikki in church remembering her love tribulations and having a heartfelt talk with Jack. Now that is Y&R! If Nikki's insecurities didn't came just out of the writers backpocket to prepare her send-off if MTS hadn't re-signed it would have been even better. Speaking of which: how awesome (as in: what a scary ANthony Geary-esque hairdo Doug Davidson was sporting back in 1979/1980...) was that Nikki & Paul flashback. It really propelled storytelling and showed how much the writers botched themselves by keeping Nikki & Paul's romance on the bakcburner and instead brought us such horrendous tales as the Chipmunk, the art crap etc.

And someone mentioned that MTS goes from the bored housewife look to stunning mistress within one episode. Indeed. She looked radiant for the wedding rehearsal (and effiong awful the day before) and MTS truly stepped up her game. I'm no fan of hers personally and acting-wise she had a long way to go but those past few years she really came to her own and became a great actress.

The episode featuring Nikki's flashback lane also feautured JT and Vickie showing signs of their marital problems (But D'OH! Amelia Heinle even ruins such scenes!? Get her off my TV, pronto!!!) and the afternath of Zapat's death for Victor and Ashley. Overall a Newman-centric episode but without Prince Dickolas and his many mistresses - me likes! Great writing from beginning till end.

And to my surprise Thursday was far from bad, even though it feautured Lily & Cane and another lame performance (does she only know the childish "I'm pissed and you better believe it"-puesed lips look??? Seriously!?) by Amelia Heinle and overall was a tad weaker. SO two good days in a row but it's probably not going to last 'cause the overall storylines everwhere else in GC suck bad right now. Sigh!

• Members

I haven't read spoilers and so I didn't know this was how mts's send off was going to occur.

I'm really pissed. And that she was suddenly leaving town after making the decision in five seconds??

And Heather yelling at Adam wasn't gratifying at all. She sounded like she was 12 pissed at her daddy for doing something or other.

I'm sick of the crapominous pacing. I didn't need to see Nikki/Paul happy for three months or a year. But I did need to see Nikki feeling like she was settling for Paul for more than a couple weeks, with only shades of it early on.

Are they forgetting to tell us that weeks pass by so that all these dramatic circumstances come about in a logical manner? I guess I should avoid applying logic to this show, actually. As a viewer, it's just not feasible.

I did enjoy Sharon and Ashley's breakdowns coming to a head, finally. I just hate the way it's all been set up. After Ashley learned about what Victor did, she should've left the motherfecking mansion goddammit.

I actually can't wait to see what happens to Sharon because of this. Odds are, it can go in a very wrong direction but I'll tune in.

And I also really like the Victoria/JT s/l. If they keep playing this exactly as it's playing with a realness and with a realistic time continuum, then I think it'll be a very heartbreaking story. I'll even excuse AH's lackluster performance. I just don't want to see another dumb blonde fawning over some man who don't deserve her and another lame-ass flip-flopping triangle/quad and another psychomaniacalbisexualhomicidalrapistmysogynistic plot point on Y&R.

Victoria and JT is my favorite s/l because of this. As is Chloe/Chance. I hope whatever inspired/ whoever put forth the mess over the past few months is over and we can see some characters get back to reality.

• Members

If MTS hadnt had that dispute I bet Nikki would have married Paul without a hitch. Somebody in the back of the writer's room piped up and said "Let's undermine this as a way to prop Victor. He's gotta be in on this" and it was a go.

• Members

I just compared Jack to John because they just have him around to tell Billy what a screw up he is. I just wish they would have Jack in the forefront and have Billy waiting in the wings. Instead, like you said they put Jack out to paster.

I don't care how good Billy Miller is I don't believe his Billy ready to go up against Victor no matter what DC or Nelson says.

• Members

Omg, if there were no dispute, nikki would've married pauk but like a week later, she would've crawled to the mansion in tears begging Victor for forgiveness for betraying and abandoning him. She'd probably start seeing Sabrina too. Then, I swear we'd be subjected to the quad 2.0 but MAB and 'em wouldn't remember paul and ashley dated at all.

• Members

I'm a Phick shipper but I also found their chemistry to be lacking this week. Joshua Morrow looked so low energy it seemed like he might slip into a coma during his scenes while Stafford tried to make up for his lack of umph or whatever. Less giggling from Phyllis would be appreciated. Why do couples in love have to be represented by out of control laughter.

Nikki and Victor are like every other storyline on this show. There is no build up to any of the climax's or big doings. They just give the audience some sort of hint that they can attatch to a day or two later in order to make their grand moment possible. I hate it.

It bugs.

Archived