Y&R: Potpourri Thread 2

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, he got rid of it somehow with Ashley never knowing, and he's the reason she miscarried in the first place. What did he think was going to happen with gaslighting a pregnant woman walking on a flight of stairs during a blackout? Did he expect that to be safe for a pregnant woman? Plesae

Yes, another nasty unredeemable crime to cover another crime, and again, victimizing yet ANOTHER woman.

Or unless you constantly try to cover up bad writing and illogical characterization. How did Adam go from the black sheep son to someone who would gaslight a pregnant woman to a baby stealer in less than a year? Whatever.

And everyone needs a payoff, Adam's done too much damage to get off free and he's never paid for any of it. People still can't get over Gloria and the skin cream fiasco, and what Adam has done is a million times worse.

Mark, I think you desperately want this show to work, so you come to these absurd rationalizations for everything, when it's almost never in the writing of the show.

The story was so horrendously plotted, paced, and badly acted by Muhney that I couldn't invest in it or saw anything intriguing about its "twistedness."

• Members

Even I want Gloria gone at this point. But the reason is not what she did (I could have forgiven that early on, if she'd been remorseful). But she keeps on doing evil stuff.

The twist in Adam that happened over a year ago, after prison, was a mistake. The writers think they "explained" it when Victor yelled at Adam in prison "Act like a Newman. Take after your father". That was supposed to be the moment where Adam turned.

I'm not justifying the behavior. I'm simply saying that the intent with Adam is for him to be an object lesson in "the ends don't justify the means". Mentioning Gloria is actually a good tie him...he's someone who doesn't learn.

Sylph, LOL, I'm a psychologist not a psychiatrist. And I'm a moral relativist. So you can damn me with two flaws in one :lol:.

For me, honestly, what sells it is (a) what appears to be his genuine affection for Ashley at this point, (B) his attempt to 'fix' things by getting Ashley a baby, © his heartbroken weeping to the voice of his mother (yes--manipulative--but it worked for me), and (d) what appears to be his genuine emotion for Sharon. (If he irks Jack and Nick at the same time--so be it. But I do buy that he also is enjoying Sharon).

Because I don't like it when soaps are morality tales--I hate it, in fact--I have no problem with Adam being a consistently reckless, ruthless front burner character.

I still think at some point--around the reveal of Adam's doing the baby switch--he's gonna be shot. I think Ashley and Sharon (and Nick and Victor and Nikki) will all be prime suspects, but I think the doctor will be the actual shooter. And then the doctor will kill himself.

That's another spec script for 'ya, Sylph :lol:.

Honestly, I'd put Hayley Erin, Mac and Heather ahead of Lily.

I wouldn't have said that a few weeks ago. But now that they're letting Hayley wear leather and be a mouthy b*tch to her mother....I'm good with her. She plays that part of it pretty well.

That said, I'd be happy to see Lily and Abby recast. I just like Heather, and I wish she'd get different stories, but I like both the character and actress. Mac, it pains me to say, should go too. Maybe even ahead of Abby.

• Members

I don't see them writing him as reckless or ruthless. I think they assume we feel sorry for him and genuinely enjoy his relationship with Sharon. The self-pity, along with the lack of chemistry and the women having no point of view, is one of the reasons this story does not work for me.

• Members

Alphan referred to you once as a shrink, so I just figured. I didn't know.

But that's precisely what people like(d) about them. Not preachy stuff, but payoff. Karma. Like DeeeDee said: moral relativism killed soaps. There is no one to root for, and people change "camps" on a whim, and then no one even tries to redeem them.

:lol::lol::lol:

• Members

That was never explained and the character was ignored for months when he was in prison. That is not good writing, and it certainly is confusing to many.

Yes, and these characters and their actions get old, disgusting to watch, unredeemable, and boring after a very short span of time. You can't have characters doing one stupid thing after another, especially with the way this show is paced and plotted.

None of this works for me, the execution was horrible.

Blah, boring, and again, gets very old after a while. how many times can you watch the same character do the same things without some change in the charactr's personality and environment?

Watch them do it, since they clearly read message boards for bad ideas, and the thing is, this character should have never been driven to this point.

• Members

Who shot Adam is fine but Ashley looks like a complete moron for not dealing with her body or questioning the birth.

She has YET to say anything about nursing the baby which should be a problem given her age & the after effects of the pregnancy.

Erin pales in comparison to Thomas-Scott, Maitland, Bregman, Cast, Rowell, Tom & Bashioum.

Mackenzie should stay it's CHLOE who should go.

• Members

If she can only play very limited material which is tailored to her one note, then she should be recast. Otherwise what is the point of the character.

I know Melody Thomas Scott was an actor for most of her life before she got Y&R, so was Tricia Cast, but when I think about what they did with the very complex and emotionally draining stories they had around Hayley Erin's age, while she can barely muster up enough ability to smug on cue, it's sad.

Archived