Y&R: Potpourri Thread 2

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From Episodes thread. I moved it because I realized it was not pertinent to the episode.

I never thought of this age problem until you mentioned it. Now it cracks me up.

As the William Russ debacle shows, Y&R seems to be at the lousy casting stage where they'll do a mistaken hire and then recast. So, that makes me think that if Eddie Winslow fails, they'll just swap him out. Some of you, and DC too, have offered nice recast suggestions. So, then they might pick a good one.

That said, IMO, Shemar should never have been recast. I consider his portrayal of the role as iconic, and he should have been allowed to retire the jersey.

• Members

I see them using Malcolm a lot initially, then throwing him to the eternal backburner like all the other black characters on this show. So, really, it will probably make no difference in the long-run.

That said, I wouldn't have recast Malcolm either. The person the Winters most need is Dru, and we're never going to get that back, so I guess they decided recasting Malcolm would be less controversial.

If the character writing on Y&R weren't so bad and inconsistent, maybe some of these recasts would fare better. But not only does Y&R have a casting problem, they don't know how to properly develop characters or write them true to character anymore.

If someone on the other soaps were smart, they'd be trying to steal Mark Teschner from GH, who continues to be the best casting director in all of daytime...

• Members

I spoke about this in the episode thread but today's episode where Adam purposely KNOCKED down Cassie's drawing of her "family" was vile, unnecessary, and just stupid. The fact that they showed a flashback afterwards of Cassie giving that drawing to Sharon and Nick made it all the more worse, it really rubbed me the wrong way. Does everything have to be about cheap shock value on this show?

Cassie's drawing represented a nice reminder of the family dynamic she used to be apart of, the kind this writing team doesn't know how to do and doesn't care about. It was so nasty to have Adam ruin that picture/picture frame. Totally unnecessary.

It was also a reminder of how Adam continues to manipulate and use Sharon, on top of already stealing her baby and giving it to someone else. Just nasty unnecessary plot-driven writing.

• Members

I'm sure you're right DeeDee, but without Hope who is there that really loves Adam? That's the problem he really doesn't have anyone who will miss him if he dies. I can't imagine Sharon or Ashley will once they hear the truth. It's hard to believe nearly losing Adam will make Vikki, Nick or even Victor have a "come to Jesus" moment. And if they do it will be a WTF, imo, since I've never had the feeling any of the three have ever cared about him.

• Members

It's really sad because when a soap is well written the necessary propping is seamless. There is nothing wrong with a certain degree of propping, but when it is obvious, unnecessary and all there is to a character, I start to rebel against it and start rooting for the opposite team.

Archived