GH: July Discussion Thread

• Members

Great idea. JMB is pretty, but Lulu has no chemistry with any of her love interests. All these men falling all over her is nonsensical. I could believe that she is asexual.

The thing is that Guza doesn't not see anything wrong with how he writes women. It comes straight through that he despises strong intelligent women which is why the female characters that he obviously loves (the Carlys) are the weakest and most pathetic yet all the GH men find them hot, desirable and irresistible. As if.

ITA about Robin also though I think that Guza only made her into the villian about telling the truth about Michael because KMc was leaving GH. I think that it would have played out differently if she had stayed. I think that Sonny would have sided with Robin against Carly and would have pleaded with Jason to forgive her which he would have eventually. Guza broke Sonny and Robin's relationship to kick her out the door.

I think that Robin has not been butchered this time around because she is not in the mob and has no longer has close ties to Sonny or Jason so Guza has no interest in her and pays little attention to her stories which are mish mash and confusing most of the time. The way that he wrote her and Patrick on Night Shift 1 when he did pay attention to her was interesting. She was written pathetic, but very sympathetic, while Patrick was unlikable and obnoxious. I don't have a clue what that means. Other than Guza has a whole set of unresloved mother issues.

I have not been watching any of the soaps out of disinterest and the intrusion of real life. I may start watching again eventually, but I am on break for the time being.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh I never thought about Lulu becoming asexual like Gerald did on Shortland Street (props to you for mentioning the show by the way :) been meaning to start a thread on it in the Foriegn soaps section but just haven't gotten around to it) but yeah now that you mention it I think it could totally work for her character.

• Members

I agree about Karen Harris. She writes the majority of the SCRUBS stuff. She tends to take care of Robin.

I also agree about Carly being a man's woman. She's surrounded by males. Sonny, Jason, Jax, Michael, Morgan... they all worship her. Alexis is hated by women. Not just Carly, but her own daughters hate her. It's soooo obvious who is supposed to be "cherished" and who is supposed to be admonished. Carly gets the "heroes" in Sonny, Jason and Jax. Alexis gets the villains in Ric and Jerry.

As for Olivia, it reminds me of the fact that you can also tell which female characters Guza is supportive over... because Carly actually LIKES them. Courtney, Lulu and Olivia. Whether or not Kari Whurher became pregnant or not -- her days were numbered as Reese Marshall because Carly hated her. I think the only reason Kate's stayed as long as she's stayed is due to the possibility that Maurice Benard clearly enjoys working with Megan Ward.

• Members

I don't see Karen Harris as taking care of Robin or writing well for the character or Robin and Patrick. It is one of those Scrubs fans' myths that has grown into a fan base truth. Karen Harris writes whatever she is told to write as far as I can tell. Her stuff for Robin is not any more positive or negative than the other writers. I don't give much credit to this paranoid GH fan belief that Frons is steering every story on the ABC soaps, especially GH. But I strongly suspect that the character of Robin tests well in the network's focus group research since she grew up on the show and the HIV story was such a big deal. It is a much better explanation of why Guza only goes so far in his destruction of Robin's character and in the previous confrontations with Carly when she first came back. Robin can survive being Carly's enemy when most of the other female characters in Sonny and Jason's orbit cannot. Guza is not going to write Robin into a corner or off a cliff even if he has no interest in her per se. Also, GH just poured money into that new set and she and Patrick anchor the hospital.

I wonder what Sarah Brown thinks about all this love thrown LLC's way and that she is being positioned as a rival for Sonny's affection. Sarah Brown is no fool and likes being the center of attention. I saw that she told her fans that she may not re-sign because she does not like playing such a dark character. More like she doesn't like that the character is not popular. Ha. She isn't going any where in this economy, but I cannot fathom what this means for her new version of Carly.

• Members

You may have a point there and If I recall correctly isn't the other major scrubs fan base myth is that Michele Val Jean hates them with a passion and with her episodes she is carrying out an agenda to destroy them.

Oh shouldn't we be moving to the August discussion thread now...one was started I believe.

• Members

It's not a myth because there is evidence to support it. Korte has a habit of doing this if you pay attention. I don't see why it's impossible to believe Korte, whose job it is is to assign scripts, would assign episodes featuring characters to the writer she feels best writes for that character. I'm not a Scrubs fan, and I've never heard this "fan base myth," but it makes sense because I noticed certain trends like this for years. Michael J. Cinquemani wrote a LOT of Dillon & Georgie. Tracey Thomson wrote a LOT of Sam. Susan Wald wrote a LOT of Sonny and Carly's marital arguments during the Tamara Braun days. Korte knows Michele Val Jean and Tony Geary communicate, so I don't think it's a coincidence MVJ writes a lot of Luke's dialogue. Okay, so maybe "takes care of" isn't the best way to put it, but she definitely does write a lot of the hospital stuff which just conveniently involves Patrick and Robin.

Archived