Y&R: Pretty big Phillip III spoiler...

• Members

The Phillip being gay doesn't bother me. I always thought the character was gay during his first run. Come on he only slept with Nina and all that was not his doing...LOL. He had a crush on Cricket ..but please...Cricket...hehe.

The faking of his death is drastic especially with a son involved. I can't understand him being away from his son this long. I will just see how this plays out on screen.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm very unhappy with Y&R right now, but I must say, I'm looking forward to the reunion. The only reason is the actors involved (Cast, Walton, Cooper). If these actors weren't playing this story, I'd have no faith at all in it. Phillip and Thom Bierdz always seemed like a great marriage of character and actor, and I'm intrigued at the show bringing in parallels from Bierdz's real life story. But after the reveal and the short-lived fallout, I'm done with the show, and therefore, done with soaps (and mostly likely all scripted TV), period.

Debbi Morgan and Darnell Williams sold the big Jesse "return from the dead" reveal on AMC for at least a little while. They made me look past the plot holes on the strength of their talent. However, Pratt has not capitalized on them at all, and he got no mileage from Jesse's other life. The Rebecca story was a great idea on paper but in reality was a big "Eh." Angie/Jesse have become a huge disappointment for me, and I no longer watch AMC because of what ultimately has been done to their characters. Jesse is the "dumb cop" and Angie is a "Dr. Joe" surrogate.

The awesome result of my shrinking soap viewing? More space in my life to do my own writing.

• Members

I have not read every reply yet.

But I posted some of this over at SoapsWEB.

My biggest problem is him abandoning his child. And evidently so far it seems he has been working with Cane. Did Phillip hate his family so much that he would try to push an imposter on them? And what was his motivation with that?

I don't like the whole return from the dead story period. Him being gay does not matter to me. But my fear is that unless they make a clear cut villain somewhere that fans are going to end up being against Phillip from the start unless they make Cane or someone a total villain in this.

Was he blackmailing Phillip over something? Did they implant the memories into Kay's head so that they would have the chance to put the fake Phillip in place? If they didn't how in the hell did they even know to send Cane to Genoa City at the right moment.

Fans of AMC were quick to forgive Jesse for abandoning Frankie and Angie for all those years due to the villainous aspect and danger. Will they be quick to forgive Phillip for abandoning his son for being gay?

And I am anxious to see how fans accept Kay, Jill and Nina who are beloved characters if one of them turns out to be a homophobe and not accepting of Phillip? And I don't think all 3 of them will be. It will be weird if Phillip stayed away all these years, inflicted Cane on them, and they all suddenly say - oh you're gay - well that's fine.

• Members

But many are saying the exact opposite on other issues. They are saying actors should shut up and act, and one notable soap journalist is saying on Facebook that no actor should have any input on his character. They should leave that to the writer.

I guess in the end it just boils down to what we want them to say. LOL And if we agree wtih them or not.

• Members
The only "internet crazies" are the people who come up with these ridiculous theories that TPTB decide would be great stories and run with them.

And why is it that everything that is remotely considered "negative" is written by someone crazy? Most of these critical Y&R posts I've read clearly illustrate what's wrong with the show. Should every negative post begin with, "Oh, this was great. Blah, blah, blah, but here's what's wrong..." Message board posters are not in pitch meetings, they're merely voicing an opinion.

And why are TPTB reading message boards anyway? For fan reaction and criticism they obviously don't read? To make fun of their "crazy" fans?

Don't they have anything better to do, like...I don't know...write and produce an efficient show?

• Webmaster

I'd be more open to Phillip IV and Rafe romance with Adam around as the villain. That is a classic triangle, but played by men and no woman in sight, though Heather could be the spoiler re: Adam.

Despite the age difference, which is a non-issue to me, I'm not sure I'd want to see Phillip III with Rafe.

• Members

Hey, believe me. I'm not saying I agree with it. Just passing on what I've heard from numerous people. I'm the last person to talk about anybody posting on message boards as "crazy". LMAO!

But I do know there has been many a discussion at a few shows regarding what fans say on boards like this. And since that's true, I'd like to see the message passed on to TPTB in a way that MAKES them listen, not makes them roll their eyes. Literally roll their eyes, not the emoticon. ;) You'd be surprised how many people behind the scenes read this stuff and pay attention.

• Members

Wait so, reading aggressive fan reaction on the boards somehow makes TICC believe they're somehow doing something right, covers up their incompetence in their minds, covers of their lack of storytelling talent, and gives them an added boost of confidence? What a horrible cycle on both parts.

Bill Bell always said he read very little fan mail and press attention. He wrote the show he wanted to write, not the show the fans and critics wanted. Y&R seems like Maria goes to the boards and sees what some fans want and then she and others try to replicate it on screen, especially with these re-writes to cover up re-writes from past regimes. I swear, a lot of what's on the show right now has been posted about theoretically on boards for a few months now before the show decided to tackle it. It also seems like she's trying to please every fanbase in this quad, but doesn't realize the harm its doing. Both Shick and Phick have rabid fanbases, it seems to me that Maria and company are afraid to make one lasting decision, so in an effort to please both rabid fanbases, she prolongs this quad and has Nick bouncing from one woman to the other, week after week.

I'm not saying that fan reaction shouldn't be considered, but don't let it consume you and the obvious lack of confidence that it appears that many have in their talent, and in most cases, that lack of confidence and talent appears to be true.

Y&R lacks a cohesive vision right now on-screen, IMO, I can also assume that it definitely lacks one behind the scenes too.

Anyway, they might make fun of fans online, but money speaks. Y&R has been tying record low ratings for the past THREE weeks, and this past week, it tied its low the coveted 18-49 demo. Yes, daytime ratings are down, and online screening is up, and daytime has been threading downward for a while now. But spending three weeks at your record low in households and HITTING record lows in viewers and demos isn't exactly a good sign, especially when it comes to things like ad revenue, which which is far more than anything they'll get from streaming online, it also tells me that there might be a good amount of general fan dissatisfaction out there, separate from the fans online.

• Members

I agree with you in theory, Alvin - but Bill Bell had a 7.0 rating. He didn't HAVE to pay attention to it.

ALL the shows now are scrambling. They're looking EVERYWHERE they can to try and SURVIVE. And yes, that means fan mail and the internet. They all know they're going to be gone in a few years, so they're paying attention to this stuff more than they ever have.

I'm not saying the show's NOT suffering for it. I think all the soaps are. Just saying that head writer and EP's ARE paying attention. Well, except Chris Goutman. But we see where that's getting him. The same place it's getting everybody else.

Depressing? Yes. Cynical? Yes. True? Yes.

• Members
But THIS is the problem, brimike. This mindset of "We'll be gone in a five years."

That's not a survivalist attitude. That's very much a defeatist's attitude and it pisses me the hell off. If these people don't want to save their jobs or save this industry they claim they're so passionate about, then why not tell the network they don't want any part of it, instead of wasting their time and the viewers loyalty and passion by continuing this a second longer?

They need people behind the scenes that will write and produce each and every episode like they've got an eternity to produce it.

They need to embrace their fans, the positive cheerleaders and the Gene Siskels, instead of deeming them crazy or psycho.

Yes, they do need to look at things realistically, but they don't need to live and work, thinking about the dark cloud looming over their head.

All I can say is that they are paying attention to the wrong things. Anyone can look at these record lows and see that.

• Members

This is the main reason I'm concerned. Stories are rewritten just to rewrite them, not for any followthrough. People said that Jill being Katherine's daughter killed their storylines, gave them nothing to do, this was a great way to make them important again. They have not had any real followup on that story since then. If not for this story with Phillip's return, Jill would exist only for us to laugh at her stupidity, cringe at her shrillness, and enjoy seeing her file nails.

And now I'm worried this is going to turn into Jill was such a lousy mother that poor poor Phillip had to fake his own death.

That he would do this to his child is what bothers me the most. He knows what it's like to grow up without a father. He was very badly damaged by that. Why would he want to inflict the same pain on his own son?

This is the part of the story which I think is the biggest red flag, and I don't understand why they couldn't have just said he was in trouble and had to fake his death to protect everyone.

• Members

But, other than spots of greatness, do you really feel this genre was ever more than mediocre? Really? I'm sincerely interested. I'm not talking about your "Camelots", like Curlee's era at GL or Marland's at ATWT. Do you feel the genre and most shows were ever truly great?

Archived