Y&R: Pretty big Phillip III spoiler...

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is how B&B has tricked me for several years :lol:

Don't you think that something is very wrong with a soap when inbetween periods of greatness they become Melaswen crazy? If they can't be that good all the time (Agnes Nixon's AMC and Marland's ATWT could), why can't they just be boring or just nice?

• Members

I'm not sure how many of the current stories on Y&R go up to the level of mediocre. One or two are good, some are poor. I think uneven fits Y&R better than mediocre. They don't seem to know how to tell stories, which means it's all over the place. What kept Y&R going for a long time was even at its worst they usually knew how to tell basic stories, pacing, playing beats, making viewers understand motivations.

I don't believe the soap genre was any less great than any other genres. All genres of TV have some quality and some drek. Considering the grueling pace of daytime, I think it's impressive at how decent of quality quite a few soaps had for as long as they did.

• Members

One of the great late Doug Marland's rules is "Read the fan mail. The very characters that are not thrilling to you may be the audience's favorites." He was so amazingly wonderful and perfect, really. ATWT was never mediocre under Doug Marland. I should start a Doug Marland admiration society. It will be important to keep the memories of his talented storytelling alive after ATWT is cancelled. Richard Backus could be the honary president.

• Members

Which proves my point, I think. ATWT had a PERIOD of greatness under Marland, but may not have been consistently great. Truly, if you accept Marland as a "brief shining moment", then I think that should be the expectation. You're always hoping for that period...knowing you will wade through a lot to get there.

If feel some fans feel that if a soap isn't as great as your perception of Marland's ATWT was, it is a failure. I don't think so...I think it is the norm, and always has been.

• Members

8 years, give or take, is a lengthy period for soaps. ATWT was also #1 for almost 20 years. Not all of those years were great, but some of them must have been, and they introduced iconic characters (for daytime and ATWT). From what I've read, the only truly rough periods for ATWT were the early 70s, and the late 70s. Then the early 80s were something of a turnaround, followed by the great work from Marland. Sadly everything after him has been consistently downhill, but even then, I think the show was still watchable in 1993 and up to most of 1995. After that is when P&G got a new boss, began playing producer roulette on their soaps, began mass firings, began hiring producers and writers who were a poor fit for ATWT. ATWT, like what happened to most of the soaps in the 90s, lost its identity.

• Members

This story is going to suck.

Sure it'll have its' stand out moments, incredible episodes, like the usual Sheffer/Bell story, but overall will suck.

I think it was overall a bad decision to bring Phillip III back in the first place. His death was powerful, and in a better word, convincing. In the future when Y&R kills off a character, I'm always going to wonder if he/she faked their death because they were gay and didn't want their family to know.

This could have played out well, but the one thing really that bothers me, and will throughout the entire story, is the fact that Phillip let his son grow up without a father for so many years. It's character assasination to a T.

Archived