Y&R: Pretty big Phillip III spoiler...

• Members

Here's the article thanks to Daytime Royalty: http://i43.tinypic.com/2iayiyq.jpg

Basically it says that Phillip faked his death because he didn't want to tell his family he's gay. Gag me. I'll repost what I posted there...

I'm very upset that Phillip is going to be gay. That ruins future story potential for Nina and Christine, who both had romantic chemistry with Phillip. Hell, Lauralee Bell even said she'd be willing to return thanks to these two actors being back. It would be fresher than just throwing her back with Michael and Paul, two played out relationships. I also feel like he's only gay because the actor is. I think they're afraid to show an openly gay actor as a straight leading man. It would be different if Joshua Morrow or Eric Braeden (just using them as examples) came out because they've already been established as romantic leads. They probably consider it more risky with an actor who hasn't been on the show in 20 years.

Another reason this doesn't work for me is that it will clearly isolate Phillip and limit his full cast integration. Not to mention how poorly the show has developed Rafe and the latest twist with Adam. On paper it sounds good, but the execution is rushed and very plot driven. Will Phillip become a plot point as well? Why not just make Phillip IV gay and see how Phillip III and co handle it? Also doesn't help that Thom is almost 50 and Yani looks like a school boy next to Michael Muhney. Ugh! So much wrong with this. I can't believe Phillip is back for this.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is so sweet... He didn't want his family to be upset over the fact that he is gay so he faked his own death. He should go to them after his funeral saying: "I have some good and some bad news. The bad news is that I am gay, but the good news is that I am alive." :blink:

"So, how was I? Did you like my death scene at the hospital? I didn't want to fake a death out of town or something like that, dying infront of you seemed like a better idea.."

:wacko:

Isn't this dramatic?

Craziest storyline EVER. Y&R's answer to Melaswen.

• Members

Well now, and all this time I thought that Phillip IV, or shall I say "Chance", was gonna be the gay one. That would've made more sense because they could've thrown in his military background AND he would've looked much better with Rafe than his father would. Honestly, if they put Phillip with Rafe then Rafe will have to be recast with someone who looks much older.

• Members

Why are all of you having so much trouble with this? Think about Phillip III's PARENTS. Jill was 20, and Phillip Chancellor II was FORTY SEVEN. Yani may look young, ut the character is supposed be around 25 or 26, or it seems like to me. Granted, Bierdz is 47, but he doesn't LOOK 47, the character is supposed to be mid thirites... and Bierdz looks it. So as far as the characters are concerned, there's only about a 10 year difference. I think the faking death because he's gay fits in with the character. He was VERY introverted, and sensitive. It's hard to comprehend someone doing something like that. Also, when this happened, 20 years ago.. gay acceptance was not yet what it is today. But he just panicked and ran, essentially... like Dina Abbott did, like Bill Foster, Sr. did.

• Members

As soon as we started hearing about all the women John Driscoll was testing with, like Elizabeth Hendrickson (who needs a new leading man), I figured they weren't going to make him gay. That and the show has too few viable leading men in his age range to make him gay. They need him for some of the women.

I am disappointed that the only stories Y&R seems to have for gay characters are shock value (Rafe) and tragic gay who has to flee his family due to his fear and shame (Phillip), but I will give the story a chance.

I don't think this is going to ruin any long term potential because Thom Bierdz has said in interviews he is only going to want to stay around for a limited time anyway. He's not an actor and he has no desire to be one.

• Members

Philip III is a coward if he faked his death because he was confused about his sexuality or felt he would not be accepted. Plenty of men have come out after they were married and had children especially a man as young as Philip. Let's also remember Philip was an alcoholic and emotional mess and this could have explained his hidden feelings all those years ago.

And I would like to know how a confused and messed up young man could pull this off. It makes little sense and reeks of twisted history because the head writer likes this character and actor and when the actor said he would like to come back to the show as himself and didn't really want to act again, she concocted this story.

Yes, there is good acting from the actresses playing Nina, Jill and Katherine and they are using it as an excuse to bring on a hot actor to play Philip IV, but this story is a contrived mess full of holes and anyway you look at Philip III he is a coward who abandoned his wife and child and put his family through tremendous pain. Then he makes matters worse by playing with their lives and hearts again by sending Cane back when they had all moved on.

As for being paired with Rafe, I am sorry but Thom Bierdz does not look mid 30s. He may be able to pass for early 40s and the character should be pushing 40. His comtemporaries were Nina, Christine, Lauren all characters in their early to mid 40s. Rafe looks to about 19 and probably plays mid 20s. Add this to the fact that we have seen little of Yani Gellman's acting as he has been used as not much more than a dayplayer and if he is being paired with a man who hasn't played this part in 20 yrs and really doesn't want to act but just be I see potential problems ahead. Then you have at least part of the audience who will have to adjust to all these changes and a Rafe and Philip III pairing reeks of a potential disaster.

They need to play the beats of Philip III with his betrayal of his family and that fallout and not worry about pairing him with another character.

• Members

I don't think that the character is supposed to be in the mid-thirties at all and the idea of 20-year old Phillip faking his death because he is gay sounds INSANE. I used to watch Y&R and this doesn't sound like Phillip, not to mention that the thought of him being afraid to tell JILL and KAY that he is gay is very funny.

• Members

For me, it explains alot. I guess now that Phillip IV is being inroduced, I'm guessing the un-SORAS-ing of Cane is now being reversed for Phillip III, so Nina, Cricket, and Phillip III are all about 40 or so. Which is ok with me. Bierdz has not problem playing 40 for sure. Some of the problem with age was with the original SL, Bierdz was 25 playing 16. I know he's signed for a short time, but I thought NOW that Bierdz said he'd stay logner if they asked him. And no, I don't think they should pair him with Yani right away.. but down the road, YES. Back then, I always thought the character of Phillip III seemed gay... it was just Bierdz own gayness bleeding over. He said in interviews he worried about that, and tried to butch it up, but sometimes stuff slipped through, and for me, that makes this today make more sense. I don't think it makes his character irredeemable, just VERY troubled, intoverted, and scared, lots of layers to explore. And think about all the people in his life that "loved" him. Nobody ever seemed to give him unconditional love that would give him the confidence to come out. Jill shipped him off the boarding school, Kay used him as a weapon to hurt Jill (Trying to take custody from Jill, all the while hiding from him the fact that SHE was the one who killed his father) Nina seemed to love him, but her character at the time was doubtful... everyone ELSE in his life was telling him Nina was just after his money. Casts' performances has been foeshadowing this, taking about Phillip's "Demons" and saying there was jsut so much going on in his mind that she could never figure out. Theyv'e been setting this up... and Bierdz original performances 20 years ago were not even CLOSE to a straight macho man. For me, all the pieces fall into place.

• Members

Many gay men stay in the closet even if almost everyone around them should be accepting (although we don't know if Jill or Katherine would have been), because of their fear.

I think the story has some potential, but I think it would have worked better if they had Phillip get in trouble and have to fake his death. The idea of him faking his death and leaving his son an orphan SOLELY because of being gay, when he knew how devastating it was to grow up without a father, I think that makes Phillip look like a horrible person.

• Members

I find it funny that people are complaining about the ages of Yani/Thom - that is if they do in fact (which is PURE speculation at this point) hook up, when Eric Braeden, and even Peter Bergman have hooked up with female characters significantly younger than them. Oh the irony.

As for the story, isn't it obvious? Thom Bierdz specifically said he would return to the show if he can play an openly gay character. So, this isn't surprising. I agree that Phillip was/IS a coward, and faking his death over his sexuality is overly extreme, but there are many homosexuals who pretend to live their lives as heterosexual males, have a family (children, wife) while having sexual intercourse with males on the side. I know the two are very different, but their is a stigma with being gay that many people have still yet to overcome.

• Members

Honey, you ain't lyin! I seriously don't think it's going to make Phillip III a horrible person, Bierdz can sell sympathy like you wouldn't BELIEVE. I cna almost guarantee Beirdz is gonna play the part for a MAJOR LEAGUE pity party. His character always was uncofident, fearful, and as we know now... full of SHAME. This ain't gonna be no light SL, that's for sure, but Bierdz can sell it, that I'm sure of. you heard Eileen saying that he was making her cry in her dressing room. Don't underestimate this man's talent.

Archived