Y&R: Still waiting for that new opening...

• Members

IMO, that opening was timeless. Granted some of the location shots were rather dated, but those beautiful stills were the epitome of what a show called The Bold and the Beautiful should open with. Yes, it was 80s, but the 80s were a time of excessiveness and that's what fashion is, high fashion is excessive, whether it's your accessories or your hair, but it has to be over the top and scream "couture, glamour and wealth." That's what B&B's original opening exemplified. The current one, with the exception of the model, photographer and magazine looks like it represents those living in the slums of Beverly Hills with it's tacky light green background and black letter box featuring a sign of Rodeo Drive in every shot.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG. lol-052.GIF

I can't help it. I gotta post that great opening too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkvwjC5CnwU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkvwjC5CnwU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkvwjC5CnwU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The cleavage shot!! lol-052.GIF

Sally Spectra :wub:

• Members

That opening was great. All they needed to change were the outdoor shots and the fashion shots. Other than that, the cast shots were the best of any daytime soap. They could have even had the main title come together at the end over a collage of still shots of the actors inside a magazine. Oh well, what can you expect? Bradley Bell doesn't have the sense to hire Wayne Fitzgerald like his parents did.

• Members

I cannot deny the greatness of it. And it seemed relatively cheap to update (photographs/stills, as opposed to video)...and correspondingly was regularly and frequently updated.

I don't understand why Bold, to this day, updates the openings almost instantly...and Y&R ... well...doesn't.

• Members

Probably because it's a 30 minute soap with less drama going on behind the scenes as opposed to Y&R. I'm sure there are more things to worry about over at Y&R than B&B. Besides, B&B only has one opening with cast shots as opposed to Y&R which has multiple, which I think is absurd.

• Members

Openings of all these soaps are horrific. Horrific. Stuck in the Middle Ages. :)

There is a way to bring them to 21st century without destroying the iconicness (DOOL) or legacy, one just has to desire it. And put a little effort into it.

If I were a network honcho/producer/owner, I would organise a competition or something, something like Re-design Days new opening! in which graphic designers, directors, whoever can enter and get a chance to win a prize: your opening will be an official opening and there'll be a financial reward, too. Note that amateurish, awful openings are out of the question. We're talking professionals.

Or better, I'd hire a renowned graphic design studio or something...

• Members

Did you see that new opening ATWT has? Y&R could do the same, just 10 seconds of the logo on screen... I hate it that the #1 soap opera has no money to update the opening. I am, however, thankful that we don't have any dead or fired characters in the opening. It's just that there are others that deserve to be in there just as much.

Archived