Another World

• Members

Oddly, I thought Jenson was a better Marley than Vicky especially when she first started.  She almost regressed Vicky back to circa 1985 when she first started... Anne Heche had gradually matured Vicky while maintaining her more dramatic tendencies... while Jenson played Vicky like Ellen Wheeler did when she first started as Vicky.  

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I liked Jenson as Vicky as well.  I think I remember reading that she was part of the plan to "mature" Vicky as she was more confident in her position in life.  She was working and having a family.  I met her once in the YO, I pulled some strings and got a backstage meet with her at a St. Patrick's Day parade in town.  She was very gracious. I know she has fallen on tough times as a person and I wish her all the best.

• Members

Some random googling led me to this Dark Shadows blog with some snarky remarks about Another World and Somerset. Apparently Julian Cannell was very handsome?

"Another World takes place in Bay City, which everyone refers to as fictional even though it’s sitting right there in Michigan, and there’s no use pretending that it isn’t."

I don't know whether they ever specified that our Bay City was in Illinois, but they certainly talked about Chicago a lot and rarely if ever Detroit. 

• Members

I recall AW establishing that Bay City was in Michigan in the early 80s. There was a shot of a map showing Bay City’s location and it was clearly Michigan. It was switched to Illinois around 1987. At that time, there was a scene where there was talk about seeing Chicago on the other side of the Bay.

• Members

1987 was a time when Margaret DePriest ignored huge swaths of history for sure.

I was looking at the Soaps & Serials books from the 1980s as well as the Kate Lowe Kerrigan novelizations from the 1970s to see if those could shed some light. Rachel has some thoughts about the population of Bay City being 50,000 people which is consistent with the real Bay City in Michigan. And she and Russ discuss eloping to Illinois, which suggests it's not the state they're in. Missy was on trial in Chicago, and Aunt Liz flies there (rather than drives) to talk her out of marrying Bill.

• Members

Speaking of changes in history, the Another World Homepage gives Stacey Winthrop and Mark Singleton's daughter's name as Megan, and I know that is the name they used when Hilary Edson played Stacey and Mark and her daughter were said to have died in a car accident. However in the Christmas Day episode from 1984 when Felicia comes to celebrate Christmas with Cass he clearly comments that one of the presents looks like Marie wrapped it herself. Did Cass misspeak in 1984 or was the Hilary Edson era changing history?