Another World

• Members

I don’t think Ada and Rachel were original cast members.

The talk about Jerry Grove reminded me of something I still find amusing while watching these 1981 episodes and having read the 1979 synopses. Ted Bancroft, Brian’s son, apparently got pistol-whipped over the head after trying out journalism got him in trouble with gangsters. The brain damage apparently led to strange behavior that culminated in Ted kidnapping a woman and taking her to a yacht, and Ted ended up committed.

Now forward a few years later and Jerry Grove was now a surrogate son to Brian. Both he and Brian acknowledged at least once, with Brian actually literally telling Jerry about Ted. 

Then Jerry got knocked over the head, started exhibiting strange behavior, raped Clarice, and ended up committed.

There were other similarities, providing my information is accurate, but I thought “... the fudge?” the first time I put it together. It was literally the same story, though Jerry had a solid six or so months of hell before he even got knocked on the head.

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Constance Ford was not an original cast member. 

The characters of Ada and Robin Strasser's Rachel Davis first premiered in 1967 by Agnes Nixon. 

Agnes had used her template over the years i.e. Headstrong vixens on the make and their single mothers who try to keep them grounded. 

Mona and Erica-AMC 

Kate and Ava- Loving 

• Members

I just need to sit and admire your phrasing for a moment. 

When I first saw photos of Robin Strasser's Rachel I was amazed by how much she reminded me of Erica Kane. 

This also reminds me of the SCTV soap parody "The Days of the Week" with blonde socialite Mrs McKay and her half-witted maid Mojo. I always thought they were Iris and Vivian but then I found out about Kay and Esther on Y&R.

• Members

Some of us have spoken of this as a parralelism & some of us were disappointed that Aggie didn't bring these pairs of "dames" up in her memoir. I thought Aggie would mention them. So did some others.

Please register in order to view this content

Ada & Rachel; Mona & Erica; Carla & Sadie; Ava & Kate; who am I leaving out? There's another pair. Aggie had them down pat!

• Members

From what I've read, Ted got out of a mental hospital and got recovering addict Nicole hooked on cocaine again. Jamie was dating Nicole at the time and tried to stop him, so Ted planted drugs on him and Jamie was arrested. Perry was pulled into it too somehow and ended up getting shot by Ted. Eventually, Ted's schemes were exposed and he was sent back to the mental hospital. This all lasted for like 5-6 months. 

I think Ted was another missed opportunity for the show. He could've driven story for years.

• Members

Very puzzling. I chalk it up to writers wanting to mine the history of a soap but not knowing enough about it to mine it.

And the way so many characters came and went on AW, it was almost like the show sometimes did story arcs, like what was done on Port Charles or on telenovelas.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I'm not surprised they waited until after they had Iris back on the canvas to bring Dennis back though. They could have created any old part for Chris Bruno if they wanted him. Adding Dennis without Iris would have left everyone wanting Iris.

Beverlee McKinsey was such a powerhouse I never really got used to Carmen Duncan as Iris and thought of her as a different person. If they had recast Iris sooner though we might never have had Donna Love, which would have been sad. 

• Members

I got accustomed to Carmen Duncan in one way only --- and that was as "The Chief". She got a solid handle on that aspect of Iris.

Now I'm turned around about that. What was Chris Bruno doing that kept him from playing Sam?

And, when did they bring Mitch Longley on? I saw him give a demonstration of how he used his lower torso to make it seem could could walk --- and it was brilliant. He constantly picked up his legs & repositioned them to give the illusion of being able to move them. It worked, too!