CBS cancels Guiding Light

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I could sit here from now until September and analyze where and how GL went wrong, but I don't believe it'll do anyone any good. For me, the point is, the biggest part of my childhood was officially cancelled today (ironically, w/ my thirtieth birthday a little over two months away); and as sad as I am to see "the Light" burn out forever, I am also relieved that, come this fall, neither CBS, nor TeleNext, nor anyone else will have it to kick around -- and I do mean kick around -- anymore. We GL fans have our memories, and that's something no network executive or production regime will ever take away.

• Members

That's what I've heard used to say by some that it's better that GL is gone, but I doubt Frons is going to care (he'll probably be happy that daytime is further towards death -- he can replace ABC soaps with "Being Erica" and "Real Housewives of Manitoba" marathons), and Bradley Bell already thinks B&B is perfect. ATWT has its own problems. I think if anything this will just encourage the networks to further gut soaps, because they figure if the longest-running soap is gone, even when the show was improving, then all soaps are on their way out.

I grew up with GL and as much as I wish I could say the show had become a misery, it's good the show is gone (I probably would have felt this way a few years ago), this is just so awful. I was really enjoying the show lately. I guess everything has to the end. I feel like all the soaps I was raised watching are either gone or going, with nothing but dross to replace them.

• Members

I think Alvin said that GH always bounces back, he is right.. I feel that GH will maintain its .1 lead or so. I mean the difference between the bottom shows is laughable and sometimes 5000 viewers. But the ranking is still a ranking. I'll be damned if OLTL becomes the lowest rated soap. I hope it never hits that spot.

It is weird to me how well AMC and OLTL due in many markets- NY, Dallas, LA, yet they tank so badly.

• Members

Life-long east-coaster (New Yorker), but before cable became big, CBS didn't show well on East Coast when we're talking about TV's with antennas and such (maybe it's because CBS is the first channel on the dial in non-cable talk). I wonder if that influenced this flow.

I agree, all we really know about DAYS is it's doing well and NBC threatens cancellation no matter what but never follows through. Then there's always the rumors that another netowrk wnats to pick it up. So we'll see soon enough.

Yes, right now you take GL out of the equation, GH at the moment/ATWT/AMC/OLTL are like stacked pancakes with basically no differentiation when the numbers come in. GH is keeping a better "demo" than the other 3 but that's about all the crow there.

Archived