Y&R: Jeanne Cooper & The Next Generation

• Members

The way things are right now... Do you feel Y&R is planning its future thoughtfully and carefully? Or are they just in a state of complete denial? Meaning... Jeanne Cooper, for example, one its most iconic actresses, cannot stay with this show forever. Without her, this story of Jill and Kay — does not exist. She will be 81 in October.

Eric Braeden is 67. OK, not a big deal. But it will fast become one. Or perhaps it is one right now. They rely too much on him and other similar "veteran" characters and haven't seeded the right seed for another interesting character to take over his (or any other) role.

As much as this will sound rude and impolite, but — no one wants to watch a geriatric soap.

Where are other families? The teens on this show — suck. As played by Joshua Morrow, as much as I like him, I will never see him as a leading man à la Braeden (who sucks at acting, but managed to stay at the core of this show; acting isn't everything, obviously).

Neil played by Kristoff St. John without La Rowell is — a bore. And so on.

Clearly, this implies that the show will continue "forever" or a for pretty substantial foreseeable future. So have that in mind when replying.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We do always have to be worried about our actors. It's the only show on daytime that gives this much airtime for its veterans.

Regarding the Braeden thing... the way they are forming this Adam character seems very interesting... he's vile and tricky like his father. Victor won't recognize just how similar he is to Adam, while sometimes they are like doubles.

God forbid if Morrow ever has to be a leading man. Not gonna work.

I totally agree on the Kristoff thing (and I believe most other Y&R fans do).

Overall, I'm happy that they invest in their veterans. We wouldn't want them to be treated the way ABC/NBC do. That's just shameful.

• Members

I agree with much of what you write here. I do believe that Y&R has been taking pains to nurture a younger generation at various levels, so I'm not so worried. It is still "uneven" because of rumored departures, talents at varying levels, but

in-waiting: Fen, Summer, Delia, Phillip IV (not a child), Kyle, Keemo, etc.

on-canvas, teens: Noah, Abby, Eden

on-canvas, 20s: Daniel-Amber-Jana-Kevin-Lily-Colleen-Devon

on-canvas, 30s: Billy, Cane, Chloe-Adam-Heather

I'm probably missing some.

But that is a substantial base on which to grow a show. Not everyone is great, but there are some truly great performers in there. Other characters can be fixed up with recasts too.

I contrast this to B&B, which is MORE geriatric, but with essentially nothing in waiting. (Yes, I know Brooke has a litter of young 'uns...but I'm trying to forget about them).

I do not understand this Morrow sentiment.

Morrow IS a leading man. Morrow CAN drive story. Cassie. Nick van Winkle. The recent affair. Dad to Noah. He's great.

ETA: If we accept the narrative that soaps are dying, and that they cannot be rejuvenated, and that the aging audience keeps them alive...then keeping a 'geriatric' front burner sustains the genre.

• Members

I LOVE the fact that MAB has been using Jeanne Cooper while she's still with us and able bodied. True, None of them will be here forever... but Cane seems to be being groomed for a meglomanical jerk... so perhaps he's the one to replace Victor. I LOVE Billy Miller, and would love to see him long term. As Much as I've hated Tammin Sursock, she's been showing some promise lately, perhaps she just wasn't inspired by her scenes before? Hendrickson has GREAT possibility to be the next Jill, although she didn't start out wioth the innocence Jill had, and then BECAME jaded and manipulative. She's almost being played like a modern day Lorie Brooks, a selfish shrew, but with a heart in there somewhere. We lost John Abbott, and the show seems to be no worse for it, but unlike Braeden and Cooper, his character was a "reactionary" one, he rarely drove story. I think if we give MAB some time, then someone will emerge as the next great thing. Soemtimes older works better for that... let's keep in mind, Cooper was 45 when she started!!! And Braden was in his late 30's... so maybe it's NOT neccessary to makea one of the teens be the next great thing.

• Members

I think Y&R was more suited for a younger generation earlier in this decade than they are at the moment. Victoria was ready and waiting to take over for her parents, but then Heather Tom left and the character has been ruined with weak writing and a weak recast. Nick has regressed with each passing year, and is known only for what's going on in his pants on any given day. Adam could have been interesting but has almost become too pathetic to care about.

Bringing in a new Phillip for Jill was a strange idea, but Daniel Goddard had promise enough to make the Cane story work, at least initially. Now Cane has become such an unbearable and self-righteous prig. Billy is almost the opposite. He's so shallow that the attempts to give him depth come across as very tacked on. These demons don't show up in the character's behavior or how he treats people, those actions are extremely glib. Instead it's almost written out in another person's hand. I see a very selfish person who does what he wants to who he wants, and then someone runs a few feet behind, bringing up this supposed angst over Jill, and Cane, and Mac. One of the biggest reasons I don't care about the Cane/Billy rivalry is because both characters are hollow.

The handling of Chloe was borderline disastrous for her introduction through most of her pregnancy. I still don't understand why she did half of what she did, and making her Esther's daughter was no help. I think now that she's with Billy, a man who doesn't love her or even like her very much, she's starting to have the potential to bring the edge and vulnerability young Nina brought.

Amber has always been forced onto the canvas, but fortunately, she managed to forge believable, even touching relationships with Daniel and Katherine. I think the Daniel/Amber/Jana/Kevin friendship quad was their most successful recent attempt at developing younger characters. MG's contract confusion seems to have taken away any momentum Daniel had as a character, Jana continues to be ignored for reasons I don't know and Kevin/Amber are being rushed into a very forced relationship which isn't starting off on a good foot (he's crazy, she's screamy).

Lily had potential a few years ago, but she's become like a very isolated Christine now. I can't write her off because I think she still has the potential, they've managed to keep her as a good mix of vulnerable and strong. Devon also has potential.

Colleen's been the subject of so much fan debate, no need to go there again.

Eden is a cipher who is still learning to act. Abby's still learning to act but her relationship with Victor is uninteresting so far and Ashley is too much in her own strangely emotionless universe now to make a memorable mother/daughter relationship.

Noah's great, and I think he is one of the future stars.

• Members

I think Y&R has done the best "next generation".

People like nick, sharon, billy, mac, amber, daniel, kevin are all poised to take over - when needed down the line.

after them they are now working on Noah and im sure more to come.

Y&R seems to focus on the 30+ age range more than the under 30 set, so the next generation for them really is people in that 25-35 range, IMHO.

• Members

I see a long time before Amber could slide into any kind of leading role on the show, there are still more actors that can slide into the older characters role, I see long term possibitlity for MTS and MS if she stays as future of the shows, MTS can easily slide into the Katherine role, as the Grand Dame and MS can also slide into the role of Jill and TB, CLB can be the next VN and I don't see why Joshua is not leading man, I think he holds his own and Sharon can be Sharon, I think the future for Y&R is fine with the cast and the characters are already in place.

Archived